• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since WHEN are coins to which NOTHING was "done" but -

70 posts in this topic

Only nine of the coins in Boom's post were holdered before Feb of 2002, and only one of them before Jan of 1999. That one is in a PCGS 4 holder that dates between 1990 and mid 1995. A rather unattractive (to me) 1943-S in MS-66.

Picture110.jpg

Yeah I didn’t understand that post either. A couple of coins appear to be in OGHs so they can’t be recent…
What else is there to understand that you think the original poster will be of any help with? ;)

In many instances the line between NT and AT is blurred, and always will be.

Graders usually evaluate coins without knowing precisely how they've been stored and/or what''s been done to them.

Consequently, it is inevitable that sometimes they will body-bag coins which are NT, but look AT.

Conversely, they will also grade AT coins which look NT.

Some submitters understand and accept that reality, while others don't.

And some submitters feel that they should be entitled to the upside, but immune from the downside that results from this reality.

Anything else? ;)

Yes, I would add...

Incidentally, some of the coins are damaged in transit to and/or from the TPG.

...and...

This damage does not necessarily mean a coin was "tested' by the TPG.

...to the list...>Mike

Yeah I didn’t understand that post either. A couple of coins appear to be in OGHs so they can’t be recent…
What else is there to understand that you think the original poster will be of any help with? ;)

In many instances the line between NT and AT is blurred, and always will be.

Graders usually evaluate coins without knowing precisely how they've been stored and/or what''s been done to them.

Consequently, it is inevitable that sometimes they will body-bag coins which are NT, but look AT.

Conversely, they will also grade AT coins which look NT.

Some submitters understand and accept that reality, while others don't.

And some submitters feel that they should be entitled to the upside, but immune from the downside that results from this reality.

Anything else? ;)

Yes, I would add...

Incidentally, some of the coins are damaged in transit to and/or from the TPG.

...and...

This damage does not necessarily mean a coin was "tested' by the TPG.

...to the list...>Mike

Thank you, Mike - well said.

I wonder what NGC would say if they were aware of the way these were toned. Would they still call them AT? I believe they would.Though, I've seen coins less then his stated 4 years old with amazing toning that are in PCGS and NGC slabs.

Actually guys, I like NGC ... A LOT! Some of my most prized coins rest in NGC slabs ... and that's where they will stay! I'm not into the crossover "Game".

If & when I get a chance I'll create an album for all my NGC certified coins and share them with you all, here.

The purpose for posting the pix earlier was to show SOME of the various types of toning deemed Market acceptable & in the process I found a 47-D and a 49 (P or D .... I don't recall right now) on which the toning is much like that which is on a couple that were bagged. I don't own any wildly toned coins in NGC slabs.

Prior to posting the link yesterday I've never tried to post pix to these boards. This is Why I've yet to do so.

I hold NO grudges towards NGC. What did or did not happen is "a non-issue". I'm over it already. After having lain the coins out on my pad for days now, I can tell you that whatever took place is a minor setback and in no way to be taken as permanent damage to the coins. They can and will "recover", quite nicely.

As for the scratch/ dig on the reverse of the 55-D ... that's MY FAULT! I missed it when I put the coins aside several years ago and can state with all certainty, that it was NOT CAUSED by NGC.

Other than perhaps taking a few pix and showing what may or may not have occurred - as far as I'm concerned I'm done with this and have moved on.

It's been an interesting topic, for sure - but moreso, yet another learning experience.

Oh - and for the record (Mark) no one owes me anything and yes, I learned long ago to accept the bad with the good. We ALL would do well to never ASSUME anything, let alone one's motives or perspectives.

We ALL would do well to never ASSUME anything,
Including that NGC damaged the coins, as you claimed.

Edited to add:

...and yes, I learned long ago to accept the bad with the good
Your complaints and accusations against NGC that you posted here and on the PCGS forum, indicate otherwise.

That loud "whooshing" sound you hear is Boom back peddling.

Agreed, sounded more like a sucking sound. Maybe he got a refil on meds?