• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pink Barbie Coins? Does this hobby need girls THIS badly?

What do you think?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

45 posts in this topic

ode to tuvulu

your beautiful isle might one day be underwater

and your choice to make monry with barbie is a commendible thing

good luck with your endevor

and might some barbies visit your beautiful isle on your sunny beaches

before they all disappear with rising water levels

and may your fusi always be wel lstocked with delicious fare

may there always be wind at your back and much tuna for catching

It has nothing to do with getting girls interested in numismatics, but everything to do with making money. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

People don't create, market and sell moderns for profit :o

(tsk)

:jokealert:

Remember the motorcycle coins or the guitar coins?

I do remember the motorcycle coins... (see attached)

79145.jpg.9c8c046b4e554e7d3776778da5c82f2a.jpg

Don't be too disappointed, I bought one for my signature set to represent my daughter. The coin just reminds me of her and her playing barbies with her friends when she was a little girl. My daughter is all for this.

Gary

The only problem is that the coin isn't in the shape of a Barbie doll!

It would be too thin to put anything on the other side and NGC would have a bear of a time finding a gasket to hold it in one of those multi-coin holders!! lol

Scott :hi:

Oh, I remember this set. I checked it out when you got the most creative award. I was and am quite impressed with it. Actually, it is a friggin' amazing set! Everything from the classic and modern commems (except for the Eunice Shriver coin, of course :þ) to all of the 1st spouse Liberty gold to Britannia to Marianne and all of the amazing damsels of the various foreign issues. I commend you!

Yeah, to be fair I had to post the Eunice Kennedy Shriver coin because of her significant contributions to mentally challenged children and other children's issues. When I started this collection it was more about designs, but it evolved to be more about allegories and significant women in history. I am always on the look out for different coins I can add to this collection. The latest from France are two 2009 10 Euro coins featuring Europa and Marianne. Excellent designs with strong allegories.

To all: Numismaster.com has an article on the Barbie coin that is quite good. In fact it gives more of the history of Barbie and little known facts than it does reporting on the coin. To anyone interested the link is http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=6923

I'm not sure if you need to be a subscriber to Numismaster.com to read it or not. They are a good source of free numismatic news and information as I subscribe to their e-mail updates.