• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone identify these coins?

20 posts in this topic

The one at the top of the first three appears to be a British trade Dollar featuring Britannia that was used in Hong Kong and the Orient. The reverse should have Chinese writing and and intricate design.

The one at the top of the second three appears to be a Chinese Yuan (dollar) featuring a Chinese junk and would have the bust of Chiang Kai-shek on the reverse.

Obverse: Bottom row, right side- American Silver eagle, extremely circulated. It at least used to be a 1 ounce silver bullion coin from the US mint.

The other coin on the bottom row, left side, appears to be an extremely worn 'silver round.' A silver round is a slug of silver, generally an ounce, produced by a private mint. It is definitely not a US mint issued legal currency piece.

Top coin- NO IDEA????

According to info I am able to access, the top coin is of Chinese origin dating either 1933 or 1934. But note that the U.S. Mint restruck a total of 30 million of these "junk dollars" dated Chinese Year 23. But the one you have is dated 1911, so I am not sure, as my source only shows the reverse of the coin (the junk) that coincides with the years I mention.

Wow! All cast counterfeits. Top has obverse of British trade dollar issued by several British commonwealth countries, mainly India, with the reverse of a Chinese Junk dollar, bottom two is of a cast silver round and a cast American eagle. Interesting for sure.

TRUTH

I figured they were fake. They made no sense to me. Looks like they're made of like iron or some crappy metal. Where exactly did these come from anyway? I could just imagine these circulating unofficially like somewhere down in South America. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When my brother was in Korea during the Conflict in 1952-53, he made a stop at some of the 'coin' merchants and bought several pot metal cast counterfeits of early chinese coinage, very similar in appearance to the top coin. From what I understand from fellow coin travelers, you can still stop by the Asian 'coin' merchants in China and Korea and buy a few counterfeit Trade dollars and the like.

TRUTH