• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is "ONE NATION" intended to replace "IGWT"?

17 posts in this topic

I have not read the legislation, but I assume that "IN GOD WE TRUST" will remain where it is: above the portrait on the obverse.

(shrug)

What Bob said. I would assume "ONE NATION" was meant to balance the "1¢" to make the design more symmetric. Also to help fit the legislative requirements of Lincoln's nation preservation thing. Personally, I'm sick of wheat and sick of 13 colonies. We have more than that now, ya know?

I also don't think removing "IN GOD WE TRUST" is politically feasible and would likely take a Supreme Court mandate rather than the Mint apparently doing something on the sly.

An opinion, is that there is too much lettering on the coinage as it stands, we don't need more.

I just answered this question on the other thread.

One Nation is an attempt to make the design comply with the legal requirement that it symbolize Lincoln's holding together of the Union. A requirement none of the other designs bothered to try and comply with.

Personally I don't like this design but so far it is the only one that fits the design guidelines.

That may be the most hideous cent I've ever seen...I also hate "One Nation" I understand its purpose but I hate the sound of it

the $1 isn't bad

Perhaps the problem was that "You're not leaving the union and if you try to, we'll kill you" didn't fit?

Rather than keep on with the 13-theme, I'd like to see coins with 50 beads around the rim or somesuch.

And seriously, the British had a stellar design on their pennies for the longest time (the penny was a bit larger than our cent, but still!)...

1877VBHPenny100012.jpg

(One of MacCrimmon's from ATS)

vs.

NewWheatDesign.jpg

I guess I am in the minority that likes both designs. (shrug)

I like the wheat design the most out of the designs we have seen thus far. The eagle is great as well. I'm part Cherokee Indian so maybe I am partial...

How about scrap the wheat and replace it with the Eagle and leave the arrows on the other side? Or do a complete overhaul and add a Mustang on obverse and a P51 on the reverse. Now that would be a sweet penny! lol

By the way I think an english Design coin is not likely and In God we Trust is to remain from what I have read.

By the way I think an english Design coin is not likely and In God we Trust is to remain from what I have read.

I was just comparing the relative artistic merit. Unlike the Mint, I believe our coins should look good.

I actually like the $1 design. No problem with that one. Though when I see it it doesn't quite speak, "Haudenosaunee," to me ... except for the obvious text ;)

I actually like the $1 design. No problem with that one. Though when I see it it doesn't quite speak, "Haudenosaunee," to me ... except for the obvious text ;)

I'm just sick to death of symbolic bundles of . According to wikipedia (the font of all knowledge, may its bandwidth never end), that's the Hiawatha belt bundling together the arrows, representing the constituent nations joined by the Hauden...etc. Blah. Put something more evocative on the coins, c'mon!

I'm just sick to death of symbolic bundles of . According to wikipedia (the font of all knowledge, may its bandwidth never end), that's the Hiawatha belt bundling together the arrows, representing the constituent nations joined by the Hauden...etc. Blah. Put something more evocative on the coins, c'mon!

I still like my WWII P51 idea. :insane: