• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Purchase for my 20th Century Type Set - 1901 Liberty Head Quarter Eagle

6 posts in this topic

This is my first non-modern gold coin that I've ever bought. It fits into my goal for a 20th-21st Century Type Set with the criteria being the coin is either a first year of issue (or variety/type) or 1901, and from Philadelphia.

I photographed it in two different ways. The first one was with a flash unit, which surprisingly resulted in a flatter-looking image. The second was with two flood lights at right angles to each other to give the cartwheel effect. (Of course, photographing through plastic is horrid.) Let me know which you like better!

Oh, also, I'm not good with differentiating between low-MS-grade coins, but to me this looks closer to an MS-63 than a -62. I'm curious as to what you think, or if you can tell at all from the photos.

1901_MS62_large.jpg

1901_MS62_large_floods.jpg

The second set of images appears to give us a better look at the coin than the first one does. And the former shows enough chatter on both sides to make me think that the coin doesn't deserve better than an MS62 grade. Also, that would be a coin for a 20th century type set, as opposed to a 21st century one, wouldn't it? ;)

Your images are good and the second set makes the coin appear to be MS62-ish. The first set made me think the coin had some hairlines, which would have resulted in the grade. Overall, I think the coin looks fine and you should have fun building this set.

Very nice photos, Stu. Without the right setup, they are awfully difficult to manage, even with the right camera. Of course, the second set is the better of the two. I like the coin, too, btw. (thumbs u