• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Latest shield nickel purchase in what seems an age !! sorry PCGS

9 posts in this topic

Hi all .. well if you had not noticed my Shield nickel posts have been very few and far between over the last 6 months .. weather I have become more picky or there has been nothing of interest .. I am not sure but what i can say is the Missing leaf ones seemed to have all been cherry picked :cry: as i have not had one to bid on for ages.

Well this graded 1870 came up on UK eBay (sorry its not a NGC one :baiting:)

and on blowing up the sellers images it seems undergraded to me hm what do you think ? (Is this possable with PCGS coins ?)

also i know nothing about PCGS slabs so could some one tell me the approximate age of the slab ?

2df0_1.jpgBQHEucgmkKGrHgoOKiMEjlLmV6SyBJ3IHle.jpg

2d71_1.jpg

Dooly,

Even though this coin has been cleaned (notice the gunk in the lettered devices) it is an incredible piece. I can see no die cracks whatsoever which means that this was an early strike since Shield Nickels were notorious for their hardness. But on this one, notice that you have all full stars! Some of the leaves are perhaps a little weak or it could all be accounted to wear. If it is wear then AU50 is a good grade, if not then I can see it in an AU53 0r 55 holder. This is a special coin, I think.

Dooly,

Even though this coin has been cleaned (notice the gunk in the lettered devices) it is an incredible piece. I can see no die cracks whatsoever which means that this was an early strike since Shield Nickels were notorious for their hardness. But on this one, notice that you have all full stars! Some of the leaves are perhaps a little weak or it could all be accounted to wear. If it is wear then AU50 is a good grade, if not then I can see it in an AU53 0r 55 holder. This is a special coin, I think.

Thanks for the nice comments all .. it is nice to hear from such knowledgeable people that my eye is getting better !

Yes the full strike to the stars made me think at least the reverse was from a fresh die.

Well i have paid for it today so it should be in the hand soon .. and lets see how free of cracks it actually is and weather or not it will be heading over to NGC to have it put into a new "edgeshow" slab..

cheers dooly :devil:

Hey, E-ZE

In a circulated coin, even slightly circulated like the 1870 nickel above, if gunk was around, wouldn't it naturally get stuck in the letters/numbers first?

RI AL

i loveit andit is asexy better date and looks nice and above average eye appealling to my minds eye and i call it "original"

yes it might have been soap and watered long ago but it has re toned back nicely with a great patina and it is one of the best circ. shield nicks i have seen in the last 2 years or so

a great looker A REALLY GREAT LOOKER SCARCE TYPE COIN with agreat better date if i do say so myself

bottom line it is a nice au no more no less and it has above average eye appeal a gem circ

Hey, E-ZE

In a circulated coin, even slightly circulated like the 1870 nickel above, if gunk was around, wouldn't it naturally get stuck in the letters/numbers first?

RI AL

Of course that's possible but from my experience, it appears that it had gunk removed in someway, albeit not harshly. But I'm just giving my educated opinion. I'm certainly not in the same rank knowledge-wise as many of the posters here.