• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone please bring me back to earth Re: 3-cent silver

13 posts in this topic

Michael's previous thread on the 3-cent silver got me into looking at a piece I just acquired in the last few weeks. I bought it without even using a loupe for closer inspection. It is that beautiful. It is dated 1863.

Well I just finished photographing it and I noticed something a bit unusual. The top of the D in UNITED is open and there appears to be a 2 under the 3. Is this an 1863/2? I can't possibly be that lucky.

I am still a little in shock because the coin is graded by PCGS as PF-66 CAM. There is only 1 graded by PCGS as CAM and it is a 64. Also NGC has only graded 1 as a CAM and it is also a 64. Perhaps this is the same coin.

Is it possible that PCGS would have missed it also?

Someone please tell me that I am mistaken and this is just a plain ordinary 1863. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Thanks. Dave.

589a8b84a5cc5_344857-coins005.jpg.947c6d4f2a837018cab6e38f72f2c1c0.jpg

Dave, according to Breen, some of the non-overdates also have an open top to the "D". Also, I don't see the expected apparent doubling of the numerals in the date that the overdate should have, at least, based on the photo in Breen's Encyclopedia, which I just looked at.

Consider this being brought back to earth but you should still check it out further. Good luck. Either way, it sure looks pretty.

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. There 1863/2 3-cent silver is also an example in the upcoming ANR auction

It is difficult to see the doubling of the date on this coin also.

I just looked with a 16x loupe and I do see north-south doubling of each numeral. It looks as if the 1863 was repunched over the 1862 just slightly to the north. Also there definately is something under the 3.

I don't have any reference materials to help me confirm this diagnostic. Could you please help?

Thanks again. Dave

Dave,

The look on the scan is not ideal but looks like the real thing. Blow it up and show again.

I have two 1863/2 both PR65. One misclassified by NGC as a 1863. They may be a little more common that indicated in POP charts. One has a heavier overdate than the other. Both have similar toning to your very nice coin.

Just wanted to follow up on this coin. I sent it back to PCGS for review at the Baltimore show. The blind squirrel found a nut, maybe a coconut, as it came back in a 1863/2 holder. WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

18633cs.jpg

Yea Tom. I did dig this one out of the ashes.

I was relatively new to the boards then and I couldnt quite hold my excitement when I thought I might have had the overdate. It is nearly impossible to find any diagnostics or pictures on the internet. I finally bought a Breens encyclopedia and looked it up. After reading the description I thought I had enough evidence to resubmit. Now I am very happy I did!!!