• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please grade me

12 posts in this topic

I would grade the coin EF-45. I believe that there is probably a trace luster around the stars and the lettering on the reverse.

Today the coin would probably get an AU-50 if it were sent in for grading. Given today's standards, they won't be wrong, but in the old days this coin was a near miss for the AU grade.

If what Bill said is correct, and it is not just a toning pattern, then I would agree. If there is much more luster in the fields then what the pics suggest then I would do a 53 or a 55.

If what Bill said is correct, and it is not just a toning pattern, then I would agree. If there is much more luster in the fields then what the pics suggest then I would do a 53 or a 55.

THERE IS A TON MORE LUSTRE THAN THE PHOTO SUGGESTS THE PHOTO SUCKS BUT IT IS ALL I GOT

thanks for ALL the comments guys as i always learn something and when a coin is too close to me (owning it i mean) i just cant see the forest for the trees; well sometimes :shy:

why with the new steam press as this coin was struck on

why is this coin so flat in the stars and strike and also looking really shallow strike overall especially so on the obverse???????

The steam press was not perfect, Michael. If you think this is bad, the reverse on the 1837 half dollars was worse. The mint beefed up the protective rim and made the lettering stronger.

Also the fact that you have a large die break on the reverse may have affected the strike on the obverse. The weak stars are on the left side, and I believe that is opposite the die break.

1837HalfDollarOSm.jpg1837HalfDollarR.jpg