• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is a downgrade an upgrade? SOLD

8 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 1965 SMS Quarter in a PCGS MS65Cam holder. The thing is, I have an MS68 that's non cam. Do I want to get rid of this coin? No, not particularly, but I would prefer to have a cameo coin in my set, graded that way, and the MS68 although it has significant cameo contrast isn't graded as a cameo and doubt it will because the contrast level between the fields and the frosted areas are just miss. So, if you have something that you are looking to trade or you need this coin for your set, contact me and I'm sure we can work something out.

I am currently loading up on junk silver so that's just one thing that I have in mind. Another area of concern for me is my NGC type set registry, here's a link:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=63744

There are a lot of empty holes in there so you should be able to come up with something.

And lastly, here's a pic of the coin:

65q.jpg

I would definitely prefer a MS-65CAM vs. an MS-68 any day! Generally, the difficulty of locating good contrast of these outweighs the novelty of the very high grade. However, if it were, for example, an MS-63CAM vs. an MS-68, I'd choose the MS-68. Below MS-65, the implication is that there is some sort of "problem" with the coin.

Looks like a nice piece!

Theoretical question - would y'all prefer a 63DCAM over a 65CAM?

Yes, provided that the coin isn't a dog. And I agree with James' statement that a 65 Cam is much more desirable that than a higher graded non-cameo.

Thanks for the comments. And yes, I agree with the both James and Victor. 63DC, if not a dawg, would definitely reside in my set. 65 cam, I really want a 66 cam or 67, but I like to collect on a budget conscience. 66 cam would run about 250, 67 cam, 600 to 700, when or if they come up for auction.

The problem with this one, the MS68 coin that is, it is in my humble opinion nicer than other MS68's because of the nice contrast albeit not enough to receive the cameo designation.