• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943-S NGC MS67 PL Prooflike Steel War Cent - The only one!

41 posts in this topic

I dont think one could be had for $500-$700. There was only like 5 graded PL by NGC. I think its a little bit higher then that. How much, im not too sure.

There are 10 graded total. The highest are 5 in 66PL and this single 67PL. I'd be willing to pay in the $500 to $700 range for the 67PL, maybe a little higher.

Yeah coinman, there are a number that have claims to being PL-ish, but most lack the depth of mirrors to garner the PL designation. A semi-PL coin, or a coin with a Star, is nice, and certainly more desirable than a regular coin, but lacks the appeal and the premium of a PL designated coin.

I dont think one could be had for $500-$700. There was only like 5 graded PL by NGC. I think its a little bit higher then that. How much, im not too sure.

There are 10 graded total. The highest are 5 in 66PL and this single 67PL. I'd be willing to pay in the $500 to $700 range for the 67PL, maybe a little higher.

Yeah coinman, there are a number that have claims to being PL-ish, but most lack the depth of mirrors to garner the PL designation. A semi-PL coin, or a coin with a Star, is nice, and certainly more desirable than a regular coin, but lacks the appeal and the premium of a PL designated coin.

Jason,

What I was getting at is that there is the potential for another coin or two to surface, and that played a part in my estimation of value. I know as well as you how different it is to have a PL on the holder, versus holding a coin you "think" is PL but really does not make the cut.

coinman1794. What do you think one graded MS66 PL would be worth? How about MS67 PL? The pop is as follows MS63=1, MS65=3, MS66=5, and MS67=1

Fudope,

MS67PL = $500-$700

MS66PL = Less. Maybe $250-$400, depending on quality.

I would think that the MS67 would be alot more because its soo unique. And the population is only 1. I would have guessed that it would go for something like. $1000-$1,200. And an MS66, maybe $450 to $550. I dont buy and sell PL coins, so I dont know. I am only guessing to the best of my abilities. Had it been a proof half, Id be able to give a better estimate.

I think you could get $1000 on a good day. I wouldn't pay that right now. There are enough PCGS slabbed MS68s in this series to justify the possibility that a 68PL could turn up some day, or another 67PL. And keep in mind that many of these slabbed by NGC were graded before they started widely using the PL designation. Population is only valuable to a point.

Jason,

What I was getting at is that there is the potential for another coin or two to surface, and that played a part in my estimation of value. I know as well as you how different it is to have a PL on the holder, versus holding a coin you "think" is PL but really does not make the cut.

Ah, gotcha. I know you know your PL's, for sure!

Fudope - one of the reasons PL valuations are tricky is because there are very few people who collect them. A lot of people are building registry sets, so because there are plenty of 67s and 68s, there is no reason for them to look at a lower grade PL (which will cost more, but won't give them enough points to make it worth it). The people who are actually searching for the PL will pay the premium because to them (that is, to me), the PL is more important than the number. Given that a typical 67 will sell for about $100 or so, at the prices we are talking about there is already a significant premium.

The same, more or less, holds true for many of the 20th century PLs.

I think you could get $1000 on a good day. I wouldn't pay that right now. There are enough PCGS slabbed MS68s in this series to justify the possibility that a 68PL could turn up some day, or another 67PL. And keep in mind that many of these slabbed by NGC were graded before they started widely using the PL designation. Population is only valuable to a point.

And keep in mind that PCGS does not "PL" these coins, and as in many coin series, the NGC option may be the best way to add value when a coin is definitely PL. I bought a PL $20 recently that PCGS had assigned the same numerical grade to, but no PL. The vest pocket dealer I bought it from was sharp enough to recognize the PCGS coin would grade the same at NGC plus get "PL", which can add a lot of value.

And keep in mind that PCGS does not "PL" these coins, and as in many coin series, the NGC option may be the best way to add value when a coin is definitely PL. I bought a PL $20 recently that PCGS had assigned the same numerical grade to, but no PL. The vest pocket dealer I bought it from was sharp enough to recognize the PCGS coin would grade the same at NGC plus get "PL", which can add a lot of value.

Exactly....My original point was that there are numerous high-grade coins in PCGS slabs, and there's no way to know if some of those could turn into PL coins at NGC in the future.