• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone forgot their meds

9 posts in this topic

The $1 Morgan 1878 8TF VAM 14.7 is considered a very rare coin. From VAM WORLD the following coin traded: PCGS MS62PL - $13,800 (Van Allen Pedigree) - April, 2008 Heritage.

If the seller can get $40K then the buyer can obviously afford to pay for this item. However, if more MS63DMPL VAM 14.7's turn up then perhaps it would be doubtful if the buyer could ever recoup his investment. Recall that DMPL's usually come from the beginning of a production run when highly (polished) basined dies are in place and the possibility of more of these may already be in somebody's collection. hm

The $1 Morgan 1878 8TF VAM 14.7 is considered a very rare coin. From VAM WORLD the following coin traded: PCGS MS62PL - $13,800 (Van Allen Pedigree) - April, 2008 Heritage.

If the seller can get $40K then the buyer can obviously afford to pay for this item. However, if more MS63DMPL VAM 14.7's turn up then perhaps it would be doubtful if the buyer could ever recoup his investment. Recall that DMPL's usually come from the beginning of a production run when highly (polished) basined dies are in place and the possibility of more of these may already be in somebody's collection. hm

You're kidding.Holy moly.I had no idea.I've seen, it seems to me, alot of 14.7's on Ebay.Maybe those were 14.1.Bet that was my mistake.I collect PL and DMPL Morgans but the vast majority of VAM's just don't interest me.Some are so subtle they need decimals!!!14.1,14.7 wow.Well,good luck to him then. And yes,if even a few more 63 DMPL's show up any buyer would be stuck.

I guess they are for those who want a full record of the die states.. maybe more historically driven than anything ;)

Certainly not for me. For that money I could fill in a lot of slots...

I agree that 14.7 is fairly rare, though VAMs haven't been collected long enough to ensure it will be wtill rare a few years from now.

The article mentions VAM 14.17, which is REALLY rare, though I did get to catalog one last year.

I guess they are for those who want a full record of the die states.. maybe more historically driven than anything ;)

Certainly not for me. For that money I could fill in a lot of slots...

Correct. Assuming for the moment that this $40,000 resembles what the coin is supposed to be worth (which I might add, I would consider completely absurd), a really decent collection could be built for that amount of money instead of buying one obscure coin like that. And there are also many individual scarce or rare coins that could be bought with the same money too.