• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grey Sheet Values on a 1949 MS-64FBL Franklin?

6 posts in this topic

Sorry, my bad. I've never actually looked at a greysheet/bluesheet before, nor posted this kind of request ... I claim ignorance! But thanks for the info. :)

I would say around $75 is a good price to pay for a nice, clean, attractive 1949 MS-64FBL, especially if its NGC graded. I got my NGC MS-65FBL for $165. This is one of those issues which is supposed to be relatively easy to find, but is actually much scarcer than it would first appear.

Most 1949P Franklins are well struck, fairly lustrous, and mint set toned. Indeed, almost all the gems from this date come from mint sets – those that were not in mint sets were generally mistreated. Occasionally, superb color coins or brilliant coins come along, but they are rare. The 1949P generally comes rather well struck with all details present: the three wisps of hair, the eagle’s feathers, and the bell lines. The master had not yet begun to deteriorate. Luster is also usually pretty good. While not the booming luster of the 1950P, Chiong describes it as “rich and deep,” it is often somewhat dimmed by the ubiquitous mint set toning. This date was not saved in the massive quantities of the 1948, so despite the fairly normal mintage for the date, gems are somewhat harder to locate.

Thanks physics-fanπ. I was wondering if you'd reply to a thread such as this. The reason I was asking was because I accidentally bought a duplicate awhile back (PCGS, not NGC). Our coin club's "coin of the month" for this week's meeting is Franklin Halves, so I thought a good way to get rid of it would be to sell it to the club as a raffle or door prize item.

I just was trying to figure out what would be reasonable but also enough to recoup what I paid for it. Both are the same grade, same year, but one is much better looking than the other. I bought the worse one on TT for $39 (should've told me something) while the median 2008 Heritage sales are at $61. So I offered it to the club for 25% off that, so $45. This way I get almost all my money back and the club gets a decent price for a raffle item.