• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Half Dime Fans Out There?

31 posts in this topic

Here is a compilation of the half dime types from my typeset. Of course it is much easier to complete than the quarters, half dollars or dollars but it is still fun to feel like I am getting somewhere. To add a twist I am attempting to concentrate on toned coins for the set and some of these could stand a bit of improvement in the eye appeal department.

Grades range from MS 63 to PR 66

Half_Dime_Types.jpg

Simply amazing, Boiler! As a blue collar type collector, I can only stare in awe at your collection. I have none of the three early half dime types for my set and they are tough to find in an affordable grade for me. That makes this post all the more intriguing to me. All dimes are sweet but the 1795 and especially the 1834 sing out to me. Do you have a type coin registry set?

Stunning set. Congratulations. Looks like something you would see in Eliasberg's coin cabinet circa 1945.

I disagree. The large majority of the Eliasberg coins don't look that appealing. And I'm not picking on his collection, either. ;)

Stunning set. Congratulations. Looks like something you would see in Eliasberg's coin cabinet circa 1945.

I disagree. The large majority of the Eliasberg coins don't look that appealing. And I'm not picking on his collection, either. ;)

That was the first thought that crossed my mind. He was more interested in filling a slot than in quality although he did have some beauts!

I just picked a well known, past collector as a way of paying a compliment to Boiler78. He shared a beautiful array of early half dimes with us, and that immediately evoked memories of old-time collectors and collections. I know that his coins are slabbed, but showing them without their plastic shrouds reminded me of a coin cabinet display.

BTW, I have the Eliasberg catalogs right in front of me and I think that saying "the large majority of the Eliasberg coins don't look that appealing" is a stretch.

Here's his 1836 Proof LM-1 (sold again by Heritage at their 2007 FUN sale...image credit to Heritage):

1836elia.jpg

Boiler78 has the eye.

BTW, I have the Eliasberg catalogs right in front of me and I think that saying "the large majority of the Eliasberg coins don't look that appealing" is a stretch.

I have to agree with Mark - a large number of the Eliasberg coins had an off grey toning scheme that wasn't particularly attractive in person. They may have imaged well, but images can lie.

I just picked a well known, past collector as a way of paying a compliment to Boiler78. He shared a beautiful array of early half dimes with us, and that immediately evoked memories of old-time collectors and collections. I know that his coins are slabbed, but showing them without their plastic shrouds reminded me of a coin cabinet display.

Here's his 1836 Proof LM-1 (sold again by Heritage at their 2007 FUN sale...image credit to Heritage):

1836elia.jpg

For purposes of clarification, when I wrote "the large majority of the Eliasberg coins don't look that appealing", I meant primarily as compared to Boiler's coins not that they weren't appealing coins in their own right. That said, and as Bruce made reference to, a good number of the Eliasberg coins aren't especially attractive, even in cases where they are of high technical quality.

Eliasberg's 1836 H10c LM-1 was described as a proof-like MS65.

I am fortunate enough to own 2 Eliasberg's bust dimes, a 1796 JR-1 and a 1837 JR-2 the first being spectacularly toned and original and the later not only ditto on the toning but probably the finest and highest graded. I am not trying to take attention away from op's post but just trying to make a point that when you have a collection as large as Eliasberg's was, it is hard to have every coin in the collection a blow away spectacular piece as in Boiler's collection. Eliasberg had some of the finest coins like Boiler has, in fact I bet you that some of Boiler's collection is an Eliasberg piece.

That is an awesome collection. :golfclap: I can’t compete with that.

I collect the early half dimes by Red Book variety. I now have all of them except the 1802. Maybe some day ... :luhv:

Here's a link to my registry set. I've been working on this collection since the early 1970s. While it can't compare with the Boiler collection it's still a source of pride for me and one of my favorite areas.

I saw my first early half dime when I was a junior in college. I had been a collector for almost 10 years. But having grown up on rural Delaware where there were no coin shops, seeing my first early half dime was love at first sight. The piece was an 1800 V-1 in VF condition. It had been dipped out to a white color. The asking price was $300, but back then it may as well have been 3 million. I still added up all the money I had available, but fell well short. (shrug)

Bill's early half dime collection

Wow!! What an absolutely gorgeous collection of Half Dimes you have Boiler78. Hard to pick a favorite but the 1795 gets my vote.

Beautiful set as well BillJones. One I would be proud to own!

Bill I love the eye appeal of your set too. When was the last time that an 1802 was for sale on the market?

The last one I saw was a couple of years ago. Harry Laibstain had it, and it was in a PCGS VF-30 holder. The coin had some sort of minor problem on the reverse, and I thought at the time that it might not have gotten a grade had it not been an 1802. No matter. The price was $139,000. It was later sold at auction at price that was in that neighborhood.

The best one I've every seen was at a Massachsetts show more than 10 years ago. It was in a PCGS AU-50 holder, and I would have given it at least an EF-45. As such it had to rank among the finest known because the condition census only goes up EF-45 under the "old time" grading standards. The price on that one was $95,000, which was way over anything I could have scraped together at the time.

The worst one I've ever seen was at a northern New Jersey show more than 30 yeras ago. It graded FR-2 with damage, but the you could read the date. The price then was $850, which was probably a couple hundred too much at the time. Today even a dog like that would sell for somewhere north of $10 grand. :o

EZ_E- Yes I do have a type registry set but I am way behind on updating. I still have FUN purchases and a bunch of images to add! :blush:

okbustchaser- You make a good point about the transitional pattern half dime.......... although I would prefer to add the J267 stateless of 1860 for obvious reasons ;)

BillJones- I have to tell you it was your type set and images the you have shared here that inspired me to start mine. You are a great asset to this forum.

Lastly...........For the record I am a huge fan of the Eliasberg collection and I own or have owned several dozen Eliasberg coins over the years. While I agree that a large number of Eliasbergs' coins had an off white almost gray look to them, I wouldn't say it was a majority of the collection. I would also speculate that many of these off white Eliasberg coins have been dipped out blast white?

IMO the overall quality of the collection was outstanding due in large part to Eliasbergs' acquisition of the John H. Clapp collection in 1942.

Attending the Eliasberg sales remains the numismatic highlight of my life.