• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS vs. NGC

17 posts in this topic

As a new collector of American Eagles iIve noticed that PCGS graded coins seem to realize significantly higher prices than on Teletrade Auctions than NGC graded coins....Is this correcet and if so why? thank you....

but pcgs has better deals for us collectors. you may pay more, but dont get the FLIP for the fee. im letting my membership end here. pcgs slabs get more money,they genuine slab a coin now, and they call when something is not right not like ngc that makes you resend the coin and loose more money.

It is all a matter of perception. Since PCGS is perceived as the tighter service and has more of a cult following than NGC, their slabs demand more of a premium, in general.

True, PCGS is more reluctant to hand out the lofty 70 grade than NGC but that is just one market: moderns. On classic coins, the two services are basically the same. Most coins are accurately graded but some are either under/over graded and some, especially early type coins, should never have been graded at all because of either damage, cleaning or being artificially colored.

another good point in favor for PCGS is that they dont have a minimum number of coins per submissionas where ngc has a minimum of five

and an interesting point is that PCGS has not sold out to the tv coin market like ngc has ie. coin vault it seems to me that all ngc cares about is the almighty buck PCGS does stand behind its grades where ngc uses the dart board method

I discovered one difference when I called PCGS to ask about getting a proof set into a multi-coin slab, the person who answered the phone said they only offer multi-coin slabs in "bulk" submissions, whatever that means. What's this all about, is it that almighty buck?

:signfunny:

"History In Your Hands" - 3 PCGS Certified Coins Commemorate the 44th President with State Quarters historically linked to Barack H. Obama.

Omigawd :sick:

Well,I am on the fence on this one.I have bought 10 pcgs coins to get crossed to ngc.2 made the same grade.Others came back with" to many scratches".upon closer inspection,they were right.One coin had over 5 little ticks and pcgs said it was a ms69.I know pcgs and ngc are at war,but they both are harder on each other.You crack open the slab,and now you are really taking a gamble.I do not like ngc's new holder.The new hologram and certification card are better,but that new 4 corner prongs is horrible.Now whos idea was it for the WORTHLESS obama coin.Pcgs never did Bush.But lets everyone jump on the new half black half white president.Those coins aren even worth the plastic their put in.The person at pcgs who descided to do this needs to be fired.You dont fix the economy by throwing money at it.It makes our currency worth less in other countrys.Example Obamas country Africa-The twenty dollar bill is worth 0.00000005 cents,or 5 hundred-millionths of a cent. if you dont believe me go to http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2008/01/18/mugabe-makes-more-zim-millionaires/ ..

These are the facts

Well,I am on the fence on this one.I have bought 10 pcgs coins to get crossed to ngc.2 made the same grade.Others came back with" to many scratches".upon closer inspection,they were right.One coin had over 5 little ticks and pcgs said it was a ms69.I know pcgs and ngc are at war,but they both are harder on each other.You crack open the slab,and now you are really taking a gamble.I do not like ngc's new holder.The new hologram and certification card are better,but that new 4 corner prongs is horrible.Now whos idea was it for the WORTHLESS obama coin.Pcgs never did Bush.But lets everyone jump on the new half black half white president.Those coins aren even worth the plastic their put in.The person at pcgs who descided to do this needs to be fired.You dont fix the economy by throwing money at it.It makes our currency worth less in other countrys.Example Obamas country Africa-The twenty dollar bill is worth 0.00000005 cents,or 5 hundred-millionths of a cent. if you dont believe me go to http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2008/01/18/mugabe-makes-more-zim-millionaires/ ..

These are the facts

That's probably the most ignorant post I've read in a while.

Now, play nice, youngster! :makepoint: He had some valid points. We're not making fun of you, Chad, for collecting Obama Coins. :)

So far as I'm concerned a good deal of what he said was on the money. :makepoint:

So far getting the Silver Eagles slabbed, I'd say that it's a waste of money from a strict numismatic point of view, but if you are doing a registry set it's okay. AND of you are selling to those who are doing a registry set, if you can make some money, why not?

So far as I'm concerned a good deal of what he said was on the money.

Yes, but Obama's country isn't "Africa," which isn't even a country, and his link is in regard to Zimbabwe, not the entire African continent. I had also thought that Obama's father was from Nigeria, or some other country near the north-west of the continent.