• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Show...

8 posts in this topic

I didn't see a thread about the impending Baltimore show in the first few pages so I figured I'd start one... I imagine alot of folks here also post ATS, but is there anyone from here [exclusively] going? I'll try to make it Friday evening but I'll probably not be able to go until Saturday. I'm pshyced up... this will be my first big show since coming back to numismatics... any tips for a "newbie"??

Best Regards... and hope to see you there... Leo

I will be there on Saturday. I'm going to try to get there by noon (I have something to do in the morning). If anyone is there, I will be the "large" balding guy walking around with a cane that has a flame decal at the bottom (the same sort that was used on the Fox show "House, MD").

Scott :hi:

I'm pshyced up... this will be my first big show since coming back to numismatics... any tips for a "newbie"??
Best of luck at your first show back. As for tips... I always try not to purchase the first item I see, unless it's absolutely something you cannot live without. Of course, when I go to shows, I know exactly who has the stuff that I'm looking for so I really don't even browse until I've made almost if not all my purchases. Not sure if that's great advice for you, but that's the way I roll! :)

I'm pshyced up... this will be my first big show since coming back to numismatics... any tips for a "newbie"??
Best of luck at your first show back. As for tips... I always try not to purchase the first item I see, unless it's absolutely something you cannot live without. Of course, when I go to shows, I know exactly who has the stuff that I'm looking for so I really don't even browse until I've made almost if not all my purchases. Not sure if that's great advice for you, but that's the way I roll! :)

Recommend you go on Friday because if you wait until Saturday or Sunday some dealers cut and run early if the attendence is light.

Target what you want to accomplish first then roam the Bourse floor. You might want to visit Wayne Herndon/Wizard to pick up your Intercept Shield albums or other numismatic assessories you might need. As you enter the Hall the TPGS's are straight ahead against the back wall. ICG (I Can't Grade?) decided not to attend but NGC (No Grade Complaints?), PCGS (Positively Certain Genuine Specimens?) and ANACS (Always Nice And Courteous Smiling?). Oh! And there is CAS and the green seal of approval. They are the graders grader just incase the TPGS's mess up. Also recommend you visit Heritage, Stacks, Superior, Bowers & Merena Auction and Teletrade booths. You might want to try your hand buying or consigning through the auction process. Finally, there is the book sections both new [Whitman/Wizard] and used you may want to pick up for reference.

Transportation into Convention Center recommend parking out toward the B&W airport, Owens Mills, or Hunt Valley and take the Light Rail into the center of Baltimore. Its cheap, clean and convient. Besides parking is free.

Sparetime? Take a walk or use the Light Rail to the Lexington Market if you like raw oysters or back fin crab cakes! Or take a walk down to the Pier Five Hotel to view the Baltimore waterfront.

Let me know what you think of my suggestions. The good, the bad, and the ugly. hm

Smilie.. Overall, quite helpfull...

Thanks for the info on the TPGs. I'm actually bringing my '09-S VDB and was hoping to have it slabbed at the show. Do you happen to know if they'll do this there while I wait? If so, how much is the service?

In the great spectrum of collectors, I'm pretty small potatoes and I'll be on a strict budget while there (I'll have only $150-200 to splurge with), so I'll have to forgo the auctions. I will be looking for one or two type coins for my 7070 album (XF-AU) or upgrades to my IHC collection (also XF-AU). I'll also be looking for nice no-problems Braided Hair LCs in the VF-AU range.

As for transportation, I definitely agree. The Light Rail is the way to go. No parking hassles and it will let you off just a few blocks away from the Convention Center. I'm actually going to leave my car parked near my apartment and walk down (I live in the Mount Vernon Historical District ;) )

Thanks Again and I hope to see you all there... I'll be the tall science nerd wearing a blue North Face parka (I think they're forcasting rain) and a green canvas briefcase.

Leo

Thanks for the info on the TPGs. I'm actually bringing my '09-S VDB and was hoping to have it slabbed at the show. Do you happen to know if they'll do this there while I wait? If so, how much is the service?

Walkthrough $125 Sameday Service

Smilie.. Overall, quite helpfull...

I will be looking for one or two type coins for my 7070 album (XF-AU) or upgrades to my IHC collection (also XF-AU).

Leo

Not sure but they do grade at the show. Its very expensive ($100?/coin) and if there is a problem it will be BB. I think it would be worth while if I purchased a raw coin in excess of $5K at the show and I wanted it verfied ASAP. That way if it doesn't meet what the dealer promised you can return it and save some time later on.

I see you collect IHC's. Perhaps you would be interested in belonging to the Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Collector's Society? If so contact information can be found at www.Fly-inClub.org. Marylands state rep is Larry Steve at Lsteve1856@aol.com. Meetings are usually held at the major ANA and FUN conventions through out the US during the year.