• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Variety Found on 1857 Quarter

8 posts in this topic

Ellis says he has seen 29 different specimens, fully agrees it is a significant variety and, agrees the coin needs to be attributed by some name until the organizations with the authority to assign actual numbers to the variety do so.

So did he take one over to Larry Briggs to see if he knew about the variety? Or to see about getting a number assigned to it? (Larry wrote the standard reference on the series and he would be the "authority")

I would rather see the coin slabbed with a variety reference number than some cutsie name. You start using the cutsie names how do you decline something like the Pi**ing Minute Man quarter?

I was under the impression that it was not a new variety. Wasn't it discovered several years ago, but just isn't very popular?

Actually, that's what I thought too, but didn't want to open up a can of worms.

Depends on how you describe "new". The article mentions that Ken Potter wrote about it almost a year ago, and I am fairly sure that it was written about in the Gobrecht Journal even before then. But it probably comes after the publication of Briggs book on the seated quarters. So it isn't new as in a new discovery, but it is new as in not listed in the standard reference.