• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinions solicited. 1938 PR67 Cameo Lincoln

14 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS]A simply superb and gorgeous Cameo Proof Lincoln Cent from 1938. Low mintage issue and seldom-encountered this close to perfection. It's PCI certified and encapsulated as PR67 CAMEO! [/font]

73737-1.jpg

I know nothing more about this coin than what you see above. I won it for a fairly low price. I don't know if the mark in front of Lincoln's face is on the coin or the holder.

I know that info is limited but I'd like to hear what you think about the coin and how much you think it is worth.

And what do you think of PCI as a grading service?

Thanks. (thumbs u

76232.jpg.1d624b6136352492d0103877fd73cd64.jpg

I wouldn't pay 64 money for that. It's definitely not cameo and looks to have been dipped. You'd have to pay big money for a 38 cent in cam. If you are interested in one, let me know, I have a friend who deals in that kind of stuff, but don't waste your money on that.

And what do you think of PCI as a grading service?

I had 5 coins that were PCI graded and I cracked them out and sent them to NGC for grading.....well they all got body bagged!! 2 of them had altered surfaces and the other 3 were improperly cleaned!! So I lost enough money to never buy a coin in a PCI holder!! I have heard that some of the older holders have better coins and the grading is more spot on!!

I know that info is limited but I'd like to hear what you think about the coin and how much you think it is worth.

Did you buy this for your type collection.....I hope NGC doesn't body bag the coin.

It really doesn't look cameo to me!!

I won it for a fairly low price.

I hope it pay off for you!! Maybe to good to be true!!

Although you can on rare occasions find a good coin in a PCI "gold" holder, don't hold your breath waiting for the bargains. That coin does not look "cameo" at all to me, and it looks too pink to be natural. However, if the coin is not hairlined and has good reflective quality, it could very well prove to be a terrific opportunity, given proper numismatic storage. Put it in a cardboard album for some months and see if it recaptures some original color.

As stated above, most of the gold holdered coins are pretty much well over graded and you cannot trust the cameo/ultra/deep designations.

If you can find some of the older green labels that look like doileys then you might do well. Also before PCI, the company was named Hallmark. Now I haven't seen hardly any of those coins that were bad. In fact, I believe the reason they went under was because they were too tough. In the same grading standard as pcgs and ngc at the time.

photos looks juiced

coin is overgraded

looks overdipped to boot

and does not look cameo to my minds eye

i guess you wll find out when you have the coin in hand

good luck with it victor

Are those the sellers pictures? If so,I think I would wait for better ones before making a judgement. I'v cracked two PCI gold.One was bb'd for altered surfaces,the other actually graded DMPL!! Although not as high as it should have(I had to say it.) Post new pics when it arrives? I sure hope the scratch is on the slab too.

It looks like a dipped Proof cent to me with no cameo in sight. Cameo coins are very scarce from this era. I've only a seen a handful that I thought qualified. From the photo, this is not one of them.

As of PCI, they are definitely in the "third world" holder category. Even when some collectors thought that PCI was "good" the best I could say about them was inconsistent. Sure, there were examples of where collectors cracked coins out of PCI holders, sent the coins to PCGS and got a two point upgrade in the Mint State category. But for every instance where that happened there were at least 20 examples of where the coins were massively over graded. Then the PCI brand name was sold over and over again, and the service and grading only got worse. This holder is from that era.

I appreciate the feedback. I got this from a seized property auction and was hoping to get lucky on a flip. I'll know more once I get it in hand.

Back in the day PCI was one of the best and one of the first TPG services.

If you find one of their photo insert slabs, try to buy it at grade.

18712centobv.jpg

18712centrev.jpg

PCI.jpg

Find a "green" 10 digit example and it's still more than likely a "good buy" at the grade.

1934Walkerobv.jpg

Walkerrev.jpg

PCIWalker.jpg

Well, I got the coin today and you guys were right. It is not cameo'd and has been dipped. The color appears stable, though.

The good points is that there is a faint cameo, no hairlines and very clean fields There is a small nick on the obverse field, perpendicular to Lincoln's mouth, about 4mm from the rim, not shown in pics. So it is a very clean and flashy coin attractive to a novice, not for a seasoned collector.

So, hands down, PCI gold label is dog dookie, not to be trusted!

Well, I got the coin today and you guys were right. It is not cameo'd and has been dipped. The color appears stable, though.

The good points is that there is a faint cameo, no hairlines and very clean fields There is a small nick on the obverse field, perpendicular to Lincoln's mouth, about 4mm from the rim, not shown in pics. So it is a very clean and flashy coin attractive to a novice, not for a seasoned collector.

So, hands down, PCI gold label is dog dookie, not to be trusted!

:(

Back in my early day's I bought a PCI PR69 DCAM Frankie. Came back 67 no cam. :blush: