• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alright, Alright, a stupid question about handling coins.

4 posts in this topic

I recently upgraded my NGC account and am considering sending some coins in for grading. Before I do it though, I want to make certain that I am not causing any problems (trust me, my grading skills will already be in question and I do not want to add to this :) ).

How do you guys and gals handle your coins when submitting? I have saf-t flips (non-plasticized flips), but what else do I need to consider? Latex gloves (most have a powder residue) vs. cloth, mailing/shipping material, etc...

Regards

give esach coin a bath in pure acetone to make sure all pvc and other organic substances are off the coins to make sure they are not rejected for grading due to contaimanation

then put each coin in a totally 100% pcv and oil free saf-t-flip

make sure your paperwork to ngc is filled out correctly and after you get the coins acetoned and in safe flips and paperwork filled out then clal ngc customer service and tell them you sare submitting and gho through it with tyhem to make sure you got all your forms filled out correctly

then box up the coins and paperwork and papertape it with registered mailing tape thread renforsed

and ship reg8istered fully insured to ngc

good luck

you can handle the coins by their edges no big deal

just make sure your hands just washed clean and dry

you aint doing major surgery on a human being

One helpful hint a lot of people get in a hurry and totally forget :

IF you have special instructions about a coin or even a group ,

be sure to print in LARGE BOLD letters your special instructions of how or what it is that you want done . There does not have to be a line or blank or designated space anywhere on the submission form to do this ( even on printed online forms...just handwrite after you print them out)....Just put this information where it can be seen .

If there is a doubt about a fee or costs for special handling....that you write in ....you may even put a 'please call before (what you want done) ' note beside the coin(s) ...but of course , this will most likely slow down the through-put process and may delay your order being processed....but that should not be a problem if you want your stuff correct the first time and do not want to end up resubmitting the same coins again because of any misunderstanding on either end.

You could email customer service with questions or call before hand to save time , but if there is a specific thing you would like done and you know it can be done because you did call and speak to someone , still make a note of it on the form if it is outside of normal proceedure , to avoid misunderstandings .

For example : I want my 2008 D HI state quarter mounted Obverse out rather than State side out . If there is a problem , please call 1-888-888-8888

or

Line item 4 , 1983 P 1 cent DDR , please insert in holder Reverse side out .

If NGC is not willing to do this for you , they will call or email you about it and put your sub on hold until you speak with them about what can be done .

I'm just making these examples up , as of course if you speak to an NGC Rep , say at a coin show , or over the phone , ....you would probably already know what can and can not be done .

If you send in a coin with a minimum grade of say MS65 , you could request that if it will not grade MS65 please place in a 'genuine or a holder marked 'Uncirculated ' , etc or specify please return in flip un-holdered , or whatever.