• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Arrows and rays Half dollar

8 posts in this topic

Hi all what do you think of the condition and a grade guess in this coin if sent to NGC .. and as always what kind of price it would be worth .. thanks dooly

1853.jpg

My first instinct is about a AU-50. Lady Liberty shows wear on the high points

The eagle's head is slightly worn. Could be AU-55 but there is a little to much spotting for my tastes. Value-wise I'd guesstimate about $200-300

The coin looks very nice to me. I would grade it AU-58, and would say it could go for $400 to $500 depending upon how nice it looks in person.

This one is in an NGC MS-61 holder, and I paid strong premium for it. Maybe I was stupid, but finding attractive examples of this type is not easy. The coin is common in the well circulated grades, but attractive coins in Mint State or very new to it are scarce.

1853warrowsQuOjpg.jpg1853warrowsQuR.jpg

I was thinking that the color might have been the fault of the camera or the white balance in the picture. If it's not, the color could be a problem, but my take it was that it was the result of re-toning after having been dipped.

Hey. Dooly. I like it too and think it's a nice looking coin. I'd give it an AU 55. I am wondering what is going on in the rays under T and S in STATES. Might just be the photo.

RI AL

Thanks for all the great information .. you have helped me decide to bid on this coin .. i will post the winning price when the sale is finished , hopefully i will be the proud owner of this coin soon..

thanks again (thumbs u