• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grades on half cent coins please

5 posts in this topic

Hi all .. simple question .. what grades would you give on these coins and how much would be a sensible price to pay as i have no idea on 1/2cent coins but my dansco is lacking !!

3d8e_1.jpg

47b6_1.jpg

240150564_o.jpg

240150585_o.jpg

cheers big ears :devil:

The business strike half cents from the 1850s are rarely found in less than VF. In fact, you have really to hunt to find one in less than EF, less it's damaged. These coins just did not circulate, and high grade coins are the rule not the exception.

The picture of the 1853 is too small and dark for me to tell much about it. It could be a nice coin, but it could also be a coin that has been recolored.

The 1855 grades EF-40, but it has verdigris on it. The coin might be improved with an application of CARE or Blue Ribbon, but as it stands, it's not a piece for which I would pay more than $50 or so IF I WANTED IT.

Some dealers I know claim that these coins are slow sellers regardless of the grade. I think that they are more attractive than their large cent sisters, but given the fact that you can only put together a brief date run of these coins without breaking the bank, most collectors only want a type piece.

I'm not too enthusiastic about either coin. With the 1855 it seems that there are just too many little things wrong with it to make it a good choice, unless it was really a terrific buy. I agree with Bill Jones...$50 would be my max for this piece.

The 1853, like everyone else said, small dark picture doesn't reveal much but if it had no hidden problems and is dark naturally, (hard to tell from a photo of course and that is not an area of strength for me anyway), I would prefer this one. I think if I liked it enough, I would go $85, assuming there is a return privledge if it turns out to be a problematic coin.

I'm not a Dansco guy, but is your objective just to fill the hole, or are you trying to fill the whole with a nice problem-free example? If it is the later, I think you can do better than either of those coins, of course, depending on budget. A decent problem-free coronet half cent shouldn't exceed $80-90 U.S. roughly in XF and maybe an additional $40 or so for an AU.

I just checked Numismedia.com for XF and AU prices (and I think Numismedia tends to be a bit high) and they say $86 should get you an XF and $138 for an AU...