• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wouldn't you send this back to NGC?

19 posts in this topic

Thats right fish .

It was the upside down Indian cent .

Or it could just be rotated die maybe 180 degrees :-)

Hmm I guess I'll try tapping one of mine. Are you just saying that ? or have you done it ?

I thought these holders wouldn't allow rotating ! they won't allow the coin to tilt at least

Hmm I guess I'll try tapping one of mine. Are you just saying that ? or have you done it ?

I thought these holders wouldn't allow rotating ! they won't allow the coin to tilt at least

Yes. I've had coins rotate in holders before and it's not a big deal. Just tap the corner of the slab on a hard surface and the coin should rotate back. Coins with smooth edges---cents and nickels---are most prone to rotating in the slab.

no

as it does not bother me

and also with full red copper i dont want it touched/handled again and taken in and out of the holder as little as possible

I'm sure NGC handle them with the utmost care, especially in a reholder scenario where the coin is already assigned a grade (and they guarantee it at that grade and FMV)

I just want to hear that someone has tapped THIS holder, I know the old ones were slick and continuous and would rotate very easily in some cases

But these have prongs which touch the rim at the front back AND rim, I can't see them rotating as easily ?? both in transit to us, and by banging the hell out of the side of the slab (I have tried this with older ones, it didn't help)

My thought was to give it to a friend who has a van, let it sit in the back as he drives around and let the vibration do it lol

Try taking it to the NGC table when they are doing grading at the next large show that you are attending. They should be able to fix it on the spot. I doubt that coin was crooked in the slab when it was first slabbed. It probably rotated in transit from NGC to your home.

I can't see QC letting it out unless it did rotate. I don't understand how it did though !

Would be very bad if the prongs did damage when it moved.

The new edegview slabs will allow a coin to move around inside the space between the front and back edges of the prongs, in some cases. Movement all depends on the specific size of the coin, and the manufacturing tolerance of the slab. Coins not of standard diameter (early US coins) are squeezed into gaskets that dont quite fit, and they slide around if the gasket is too wide. Often these coins will be tilted in the slab. Not all edgeviews are a perfect fit. Sometimes the gasket is defective and allows a coin to move around, as well. I have a handful of freshly graded coins that have to be returned because the white gasket is too small for the plastic shell, and the whole thing wrattles around inside, so it is certainly possible the prongs could be bad as well! It is also true that coins could turn in the old style holders.

But these have prongs which touch the rim at the front back AND rim, I can't see them rotating as easily ?? both in transit to us, and by banging the hell out of the side of the slab (I have tried this with older ones, it didn't help)

On the other hand, with the older slabs the holder makes contact with the entire edge hic means much more surface area and therefore friction to resist rotation.