• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Free Earlybird submissions

8 posts in this topic

I recently upgraded my NGC/Collector Society membership and am thinking about what to use my 5 free submissions on. I have a few coins I want to send in (Kennedy, Morgan, etc...), but was wondering if sending in my 2007 Platinum Ann. set was worth it??? They are still in the sealed mint shipping box.

Thoughts or comments?????

no need to send in plat set they are worth as much in the original box as in the holder and for many the origianl box is better

good luck

What do YOU like? I mean, what do you collect . I would use them on things I like , but you should use them how you want to.

Suggestions :

1) coins that are borderline body bag in your opinion , but are either keys or worth a bit of money. No use wasting money sending these in , so a 'freebie' would be worthwhile, however , if you consider the price of the membership includes the cost of these 'free' subs , then it might not be . (submit through NCS if a holder is wanted should any not make it to NGC slabs....NCS does pro-rate the certificate , but there might be a small fee for conservation work)

2) Coins that would normally be very expensive based upon market value . If you could get a coin graded at the freebie cost versus the market value , you could save a few bucks.

3) In a way , unless the freebie Early bird certificate was awarded as a prize , the certificate is not really free , so send in coins that you want holdered , but wish to save money on grading fees . The shipping will be based on the value you place on the coin , and might go up if the coin(s) grade a bit higher ...but that goes on with regular subs too. If you are a modern coin registry competitor and want some holes filled with coins that you can't find on the open market at prices you can afford , then you might consider sending moderns just to use the certificate prior to it expiring .

Whatever you choose , do not beat yourself up worrying about how and what to the point that you wait too long before you use the certificate and let it expire.

EDIT : reply to original post'r . Not directed solely to Michael's reply , but he does make a good point on the Platinum set .

I have exactly the same problem on what to do with my 5 submission certificate. Observations of some of you guys of the pictures I posted I now believe are right on about cleaned coins...so I am going to stick that certificate back in the folder and ponder some more. I do have a 3 coin gorgeous Albania Big silver proof set in the original vinyl wallet that might be a good idea to protect in plastic. I think the wallet is 40 years old and though I don't see any evidence of PVC, it was used back then.

So now I'm back to pondering. I guess it's a good problem to have. I have stuff worthy of submission, but what to submit is the question. I wouldn't worry too much about the certificate expiring. I believe that you have 1 year from the time you joined the club. I renewed in Feb 2009, and my expiration date (well...not MY expiration date...I hope) my certificate's expiration date is 2/15/2010.

The "right" decision is going to depend upon what you want to get out of grading and how many coins fit that criteria.

I almost exclusively use financial criteria and that criteria is whether the cost of the grading fee is more than offset by the incremental value of the increase in market value. (There are also some cheaper coins from my South Africa collection that I intend to get slabbed eventually. But I would not use a certificate on them now. It would be a waste.)

Since I only collect world coins, I almost always try to use it on those which qualify for the "Standard" tier because the grading fee is $32. The "Value" tier is $19 and the "Modern" is $16.50.

As for NCS, I do not think their consevation fees are particularly cheap. Its $15 a coin (at least) plus $5 to have it evaluated and then you need to add the grading fee on top of that. And unless you can get the coins shipped back to you as part of a larger group, you will not have the opportunity to spread the shipping charge economically either. In a worst case, submitting one inexpensive coin for conservation and grading could result in a total cost of about $60.

Just to clarify my prior post, you essentially pay $70 for that coupon. Assuming you no longer get the 10% discount, 5 modern coins cost $62.5 before shipping and insurance. Unless you just don't have anything better, you're losing money with that decision.