• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You have got to see this Proof Morgan

23 posts in this topic

Nice coin now but its well on its way to chocolate 'BLACK' -

Its only a $10k coin - wonder where he thinks the extra $40k in value is.

I have an 1869 Proof quarter that has toning similar to this. The Proof mirrors are fully visible under the toning, but many people to whom I have shown this piece say that it is too dark. I'll bet that there are more than a few people who might say the same thing about this silver dollar.

The coin has a few hairlines and therefore NGC graded it PR-64, but what do you think?

1869QuarterO.jpg1869QuarterR.jpg

Um... that looks like the kind of toning that would rub off with a wipe of a finger. Yes, I mean AT. I don't think it would slab today. If its not AT, then the pics are juiced. One or the other.

Bill's '69 quarter is what heavy natural toning on silver can look like.

I will bet that coin is lighter and a lot more colorful in hand hm

Not saying it isn't darker than the typical proofs you see but when you take a straight on shot of a toned proof coin it will come out very dark....think about when folks post images of cameo proof Frankies and Ikes etc.....the fields are black becuase they reflect the light back into the camera lense.....in hand they are not black. :headbang:

..Its only a $10k coin - wonder where he thinks the extra $40k in value is.

It's not even a $10,000 coin, unless it's under-graded. But I do think it has a great look to it.

coin is not and will never be deep cameo not even close

ngc does not even grade coins dc but uc

coin is not in a first generation ngc holder not even close and was not even graded in the 1980's but the early 1990's

coin is way way too dark and i am sure if re submitted today it would receive the 66 over and over again maybe outside chance 67 but i doubt it sight seen might be different but i highly doubt it

coin might be somewhat attractive and original but it is way WAY too dark TO SUBDUING THE MIRRORS totally around the outer edge of the coin

i bet in hand sight seen the coin is mucho darker than the image suggests

currently the market does not favor extremely dark/black but original coins

but be that as it may

this coin is not worth over 12k it is overpriced by over 44k+

i gurss since it has been "off the market since 1984" (worship) adds 44k+ to the price

nuts.....................................................................................

since the middle of the obv. and rev. is white the coin might even not be original and be dipped long ago and retoned--secondary toning

as usually original cased set toned philly proof coins from the 1880's are not white in the centers like this coin not to say that it could'nt happen

It's not even a $10,000 coin, unless it's under-graded. But I do think it has a great look to it.

Well,the guy is hyping it as an MS 68 DCAM "by today's standards". Also,I think these are scanned images? They won't be all that accurate if they are. I'll bet it looks somewhat different in hand.

Well,the guy is hyping it as an MS 68 DCAM "by today's standards". Also,I think these are scanned images? They won't be all that accurate if they are. I'll bet it looks somewhat different in hand.

It's way too heavily toned to have any chance for a deep/ultra cameo. And if he really thought it had (even) a shot at a 68 I expect that he would have it re-graded. All of that aside, though, even if it were in a 68 holder, I think his asking price might still be too high. ;)

It's way too heavily toned to have any chance for a deep/ultra cameo. And if he really thought it had (even) a shot at a 68 I expect that he would have it re-graded. All of that aside, though, even if it were in a 68 holder, I think his asking price might still be too high. ;)

I agree. It may be a beautiful,unique Morgan but he's asking way too much. Have a look at the rst of what he's selling.Geez,this guy is optimistic.

Nice coin now but its well on its way to chocolate 'BLACK' -
If it's going to turn BLACK you know darn well Braddick will be all over it! ;)

Nothing a little dip wouldn't fix

I think if you dipped that you would be left with a very dead looking coin. The toning has gone so far that if it was removed you would find a significant amount of the flowlines would go with it. The toning is heavy enough it has probably caused damage to the surfaces.

Nothing a little dip wouldn't fix

I think if you dipped that you would be left with a very dead looking coin. The toning has gone so far that if it was removed you would find a significant amount of the flowlines would go with it. The toning is heavy enough it has probably caused damage to the surfaces.

MY thoughts also

yes dip the coin and now it is only a 50/50 chance

proof 63/64 OR

damaged too much to even get into a graded non problem holder

This coin has its merits in eye-appeal but it is certainly not for me. I think Weimar White is correct that toning is damage, especially in this case. If dipped then the peripheries of the coin would look terrible since the black toning has eaten into the surface and it's doubtful than much mirrors would remain in those areas. I'd say that this coin should carry a caveat at most any price.

This coin has its merits in eye-appeal but it is certainly not for me. I think Weimar White is correct that toning is damage, especially in this case. If dipped then the peripheries of the coin would look terrible since the black toning has eaten into the surface and it's doubtful than much mirrors would remain in those areas. I'd say that this coin should carry a caveat at most any price.

I think that there is a chance that this silver dollar is AT, but I can't say that for sure. The reverse has reached the point where the toning has dulled the surfaces to cloudy and has now become damage IMO.

Still, don't get me started on Weimar White. I have some major issues with his opinions, and I don’t think that he nearly the expert on toned silver coins that he passes himself off as being. Toning on silver coins IS NOT equal to rust on iron!!! Some of his writings have resulted in some temporary losses in value for some very nice toned coins and has encouraged some want-to-be coin doctors to ruin some decent original pieces. I hope that Coin World will never publish more of his stuff on the front page as “fact” again. His articles should be on the editorial and opinion pages.