• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare USA Political Item for sale in my local auction room

12 posts in this topic

Hi all i know this is not a Coin thing but i thought you should see this Luster jug which is coming up for sale .. and thought some of you may want to retrieve some of your historical political items .. i am sure it will go for a lot less over hear than it would in the USA !!! (dag i could have made a few $'s :()

I do collect Carr luster items but I cannot collect it all :cry:

(worship)A433.jpg(worship)

Auction description

A rare, North Shields Pottery jug of American Political interest, transfer printed in brown with "Masons Arms" and the verse "When this you see..." inscribed: "Iohn & Alice Rodham. Shield Row Mar,,d Nov.b 17 1827." (5ins 13cms) (see illustration)

NB

John (Jonathan) Rodham is a member of the Rodham Family of Shield Row near Stanley, Co Durham, ancestors of Americas Secretary of State and former first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton

£300-400

FINE ART

ANDERSON HOUSE

10 March 2009

It is a COIN thing ! I like it ! (thumbs u

Interesting that they made the connection , or knew of it , so decided now would be a fine time to set it off to auction . Think it was held to see if Hillary might have won the election ?

IT is a very pretty jug and amazing that the luster around the top/base is so colorful , even after all these years ( is that the luster part that it is named for or is that a type of style?).

Neat , Dooly . You find some very interesting items when you are about it. :headbang:

Tom Dooly?

There was a song sung by the Smother Brothers I think. Sad very sad ending to Tom. I think the woman was Hillary in the song.

"Hang down your head Tom Dooly. Hang down your head and cry. Hang down your head Tom Dooly. Tomorrow your going to die."

"Met her on the Mountain. There I took her life. Met her on the Mountain. There I stabbed her with my knife,"

[ok now all together in choris]

"Hang down your head Tom Dooly. Hang down your head and cry. Hang down your head Tom Dooly. Tomorrow your going to die." :signofftopic:

Anyway its not what's on the side of this pitcher but what is on the bottom. A lot of Chineeeese repro's are on the market like RS Prussia. Buyer Beware (Caveat Emptor)

Dooly

I don't want to be a doubting Thomas but pottery marks can be copied.

Is 'Spot On' really spot on and will the auction house back everything they sell?

If purchased I would have this verified ASAP!

In any case its been fun talking and adding my 2c

Hi there Smilie Puss (thumbs u

The funny thing is with luster ware is that these in the main do not have pottery marks the id is usually the type/colour of the luster which helps to identify them.

in fact when i think back i have only seen two examples with the carrs makers mark and this is usually within the design..

Yep the world is a sneaky place but this item is from a member of the family .. so you takes your chances sometime you win sometimes you lose .. Just look back at some of my purchase and you will see how many misses i have had lol

203580429_o.jpg

A bit of later Carr luster in my collection

Dooly

You know best and you are closer to your object of desire than am.

I once purchased what I thought was a genine RS Prussia pitcher but the seal on the bottom was a RS Prussia. I only found out about this by doing a web search on RS Prussia porcelein copies and certain seals used by the copy cats. When I compared the seals mine was in fact a copy and I contacted the auction house and gave them the source for the copies and they refunded most of my moola ($)

Now I have a pretty pitcher and a story to tell about how I was almost taken.

Hope if you bid and win this object of desire it will bring you some memories as well. But not a nightmare.

I think the woman was Hillary in the song.

Her name isn't mentioned in the song but in the event the story was based on her name was Laura Foster.

Have they actually traced the genealogy to connect the two Rodham's? I know here in the US a less than scrupulous auction house would make such a statement even if it wasn't true as a potential way of possibly raising the bids