• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subscriptions?

11 posts in this topic

What do you "guys" subscribe to in the way on Numismatic material?

I currently subcribe to Numismatic News, Coinage, ANA (Numismatist) and am looking at CoinValues (I buy this almost every month anyway). If I subscribe to CoinValues, I am thinking about a combo deal with the weekly Coin World, but haven't bit the $60 bullet yet.

Take care

Nothing. I had a sucscription to the Canadian Coin News but let it expire.

I pick up COINS, COIN PRICES and maybe a WORLDWIDE COINS if they have Canadian listings. Haven't bought a COIN WORLD since they made COIN VALUES a separate publication.

The Numismatist is a decent publication though it has little of direct interest to me. I believe the ANA also publishes a seperate journal that is more scholarly but that must be paid for seperately. The best is probably the journal published by the ANS, at least in the United States.

The publications you reference that appear on the magazine rack, I pick them up occasionally when I go to a bookstore but would consider it a complete waste of money to become a subscriber. I do not collect anything they cover and I would rather go buy a reference book if I did.

I subscribe to CDN (Greysheet, Bluesheet, Greensheet), Coinworld, Banknote Reporter. The CoinWorld Value Trends is the price guide for Market Retail in my view. This is the most reliable, detailed retail price guide in Numismatics and they have been publishing this for approximately 50 years. CDN on the other hand is for wholesale. I use CDN more as a tool for assessing my replacement cost, not what I want to base retail of my inventory on. Realistically, the negoiated price of a coin I sell at a show my fall somewhere between CW Trends and CDN. Start with CW Trends and then if don't take it at Trends, prod them for their counter offer. Then you can consider meeting the guy half way if that might work for you. As long as I am making a some money, I am not too good to sell a little below CWT.

I either buy coins (CDN) or sell them (Coin World Value Trends - starting point for retail pricing). I don't necessarily believe in using CDN as basis for retail as it can often be a dealer "wish list" for what they would like to buy a coin for or a reflection of a lack of dealer capital (low ball bids as dealers flee the bidding scene). So, it may be premature to drop your retail asking price until you see the retail pricing guides following suit.

World Colonial,

FYI, the ANA stopped publishing its Journal after three or four issues.

The subscription price was way too high. I think they would have been much more successful if they had either priced it much lower or made it an on-line publication.

I did not know that. That's too bad. It seemed like a good publication and frankly, there isn't much out there that seems to be worthwhile. A lot of general publications directed to the casual collector with either few to no articles that provide any depth on more specilaized topics.

For those who are US collectors or those issues from a select few other countries (such as the UK), there are reference books but not for most others.

The others mentioned here are price guides or price lists. And while I am sure they are useful for dealers, I prefer auction results though that is more relevant to higher grade coins when they are not the cheapest ones.

world colonial,

There's actually a lot of in-depth information available, it's just not in the general publications (most of which are really aimed at beginning collectors).

Specialized US collectors have a large number of specialized clubs to choose from. Most of the specialized clubs publish print journals and several of them also distribute e-mail publications (some of these are free) or have Internet discussion boards.

I highly recommend the E-Sylum, which is published by the Numismatic Bibliomania Society. The E-Sylum is a weekly e-mail that is focused on numismatic books and research. The contributors drive the direction of each issue, so it really covers the fullest possible range of topics. The entire E-Sylum archive is on-line at the NBS' website - it will provide hours and hours of interesting reading.

If you have an interest in any particular US topic or series, let us know.

there is no price guide other than ended auctions. if someone can use one guide for selling they should have the guts or valor to use it for buying.

here is the guide for ALL prices to save yall some money on story mags.

"the value of an item is what someone is willing to pay, not what your asking, nor what a book says."

i find it weird myself when someone i want to sell to looks through many price GUIDES to get a price they want .i usualy walk away and sell to someone that doesnt make me feel as though they are trying there damndest to jack me.

ive had people (numerous) actualy grab a small stack of grey sheet and start looking through each one. one went back as far as 7 months to find a price to quote me.

if its ngc i use numis and pcgs for pcgs other coins is stricktly past auctions on a few sites. not just ebay.

Thanks, but I do not collect any US coins. But I agree with you that specialized clubs (maybe like EAC and Bust Half Nut Club?) for US coins do and apparently some others though I have no in-depth knowledge of what they publish. And actually, occasionally, there might be the equivalent for some world coins also but just not very often.

One such example is for Mexico on this website, Mexico Coin Magic. Their publication schedule seems to be irregular but that is probably common. But considering that there is essentially zero reference material out there for mexcio (that I know of) except for "Resplendores" (Cap & Ray 8 Reales) and Gilboy's book on piollar's (which I own), its a wealth of information.

But generally, there isn't any for most other world issues nor would I expect there to be.