• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sure hope we don't see many more of these

40 posts in this topic

Here is the question I sent to the seller in the linked thread:

"Hello,

I was wondering about the toning and surface on this coin. How was it toned? In hand, does it appear cleaned or altered?

Thanks."

His answer a few minutes ago:

"It is AT & the coin shop I bought it from is known to clean their coins so I can not be sure if it has been cleaned." :eek:

I would call that a direct answer with a finger pointed at someone else as the AT'er and cleaner.

Still, that information should be disclosed in the auction by the seller when the information is relevant and factual.

I have no problem with this getting a GENUINE. It tells me the coin is, in fact, a real Morgan Dollar.

As for the AT (Artificially Tarnished) versus NT (Naturally Tarnished) - tarnish is tarnish.

:devil:~caveat emptor!

That stuff isn't toning.It's some kind of paint or more likely dye.

I have no problem with this getting a GENUINE. It tells me the coin is, in fact, a real Morgan Dollar.

As for the AT (Artificially Tarnished) versus NT (Naturally Tarnished) - tarnish is tarnish.

That stuff isn't toning.It's some kind of paint or more likely dye.

Doesn't matter. I have never bought a coin because of its "color". Despite the AT it is not a bad looking coin. If I were looking for an example of a Morgan Dollar I would consider it. Would I pay stupid money for it? No.

As I said before "caveat emptor".

My only beef with this issue is that the term Genuine, might be misunderstood as applying to the toning, as well as the coin. Thus, I like the idea of certifying problem coins as genuine, but not AT problem coins. Of course, that is a slipery slope. Next you could say, someone thought a wizzed coin had "genuine" luster, etc.

Overall, I like the PCGS genuine holdering, but it does have downsides. If they were to label the problems, that would help a lot. Otherwise, I dont see any easy solutions.

My only beef with this issue is that the term Genuine, might be misunderstood as applying to the toning, as well as the coin. Thus, I like the idea of certifying problem coins as genuine, but not AT problem coins. Of course, that is a slipery slope. Next you could say, someone thought a wizzed coin had "genuine" luster, etc.

Overall, I like the PCGS genuine holdering, but it does have downsides. If they were to label the problems, that would help a lot. Otherwise, I dont see any easy solutions.

GENUINE NOT GRADABLE is the full text on the slab reverse.

Placing the same GENUINE NOT GRADABLE on both sides of the slab might address or at least call attention to the fact something about the coin is not right. The cheats could still crop the labels out of the pic but they can now just not show the reverse with the same effect.

Placing the same GENUINE NOT GRADABLE on both sides of the slab might address or at least call attention to the fact something about the coin is not right. The cheats could still crop the labels out of the pic but they can now just not show the reverse with the same effect.

At what point should people be responsible for knowing what they are buying?

From the beginning in my opinion.

Thus, I like the idea of certifying problem coins as genuine, but not AT problem coins.

What about cleaned problem coins labeled Genuine? Or tooled coins labeled as Genuine, or repaired coins labeled as Genuine? Or artificially frosted coins labeled as Genuine? Frankly once they started labeling problem coins of any kind as genuine, you have the possibility of misrepresentation to the unknowledgeable.

I also think their hurting their PCGS brand name.

Precisely why PCGS refused to do it for 23 years until they finally caved. Now after years of refusing they start doing it, and now they are being criticized for doing what many people begged them to do.

When they hand over their hard earned money.

"Never invest more money in a cent (coin) than you can cheerfully afford to lose"

Dr William Sheldon