• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading 20 centers...

8 posts in this topic

I posted this ATS as well

...OK... before anyone says it, I know this thread is worthless without pics but I'm without digital camera. I took the plunge and bought what I consider to be a VF20 1875-S 20-center with nice original surfaces. There's some weakness in the middle of "LIBERTY" ("LI" and "RTY" show plainly) but the horizontal lines of the shield are in tact. The reverse shows slight wear in the middle of the eagles' breast and on the tallons. So... with this description in mind... please post pics of your VF 20-centers.

Thanks

Leo

Thanks Prethen... Are all of these in the VF range? The last two look similar in wear to the one I purchased yesterday. I'm not certain if the strike on the 1875-S coins were similar to the others of the series or not... Thanks for the post.

Leo

The 20 cent piece is graded differently from the other Liberty Seated coins. The "LIBERTY" on the shield is in raised letters which caused it to wear down faster. As a result, a piece in Fine will only show four letters. A VF should have all of the letters visible, but the middle ones would be expected to be weak.

The only double dime I currently own is an MS-63. I don't have any pictures available in the circulated grades.