• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Questions

19 posts in this topic

Can't find any values on these gold items. Just looked on Heritage and in Coin Values, nothing.

4 coin set(1996-W) and Buffalo are both proofs. Should I get these graded?

Gold4coinset-1copy.jpgGoldBufalo-3.jpgGoldBufalo-5.jpg

Thanks, Pat

This all depends on your goals as a collector, investor or dealer.

Since AGE is a bullion product regardless if its UNC or Proof it remains bullion.

Collecting in albums is perhaps better than having them certified and graded because to holder may not be practical for resale.

Major auction houses do not want modern bullion item unless they are graded 70 for the purpose of Registry.

Now if you purchase for the spot bullion price play and the price of gold becomes $1000/oz or more then you can resell your collection if you had purchased UNC's at $850/oz.

As for grading AGE from the USMint the quality of the items can vary from 66 to 70. The average in my experience has been 68.8 for gold proof sets.

I have tried to sell my collection 1987-2007(39.5 oz) three times to Heritage at the peak of spot @ $1,000/oz gold last March and they declined my offer @ $1,025/oz.

All of these coins are certified and graded. They recommended that I crack them out and put them back into the orginal blue mint box. I said really? Even when you have knowledge of its grade or condition? Go figure the logic on this one and you will come to the conclusion its a waste of time and money to have them certified/graded unless you are a stock holder in the TPGS.

So there you have it with the bark on. Not sure I was able to help you decide. Other collectors may have had a different experience and will be more positive in their recommendations. ????

if i was a dealer buying them for resale i would pay melt

as then i got to sell them for melt plus a reasonable profit say 12%-15%

maybe there is a better market for them unfortunately not in my neck of the woods

i suppose you can get more than melt but you need to find an end user/buyer who is in love with modern proof bullion coins that want them for a collectible

Michael,

When you say melt +15%, that's not what I would get from a dealer, right?

Also we have an inherited 1880-S $20 gold coin that a dealer said had been cleaned.

Would that also be melt + ?

Pat

Michael,

Also we have an inherited 1880-S $20 gold coin that a dealer said had been cleaned.

Pat

dealers dont usualy give melt value. :(

and yes the cleaned coin would be considered content value. the numismatic value got cleaned off :(

also dont just go off one persons word. take it arround,show them off,see what each have to say without knowing what the other said. go into each person as though you have not asked the first/second/third.

Michael,

Pat

correct a dealer would within reason sell them for melt plus 15% unless he has hungry retail customers for these coins then he might get more

you will get melt or slightly over melt from a dealer

for these mint gold products

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on the double eagle

an 1880-s double eagle cleaned...... and lets assume it is a cleaned in might not be but lets assume it is and the grade is commerical unc. ;;;this is a coin that is slightly circulated but close to unc.

i will say that today with the price of gold being 942 i can today buy on a big dealers site this common double eagle cleaned and just unc. ms60 for $ 1222.00

so i would think that a dealer will pay less than 1222 for it how much less you say?

as little as he can

okie bottom line this coin right now with gold being 942 an ounce

retail on your gold coin is 1222 or thereabouts

a dealer would pay

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

anywhewe between 1050-1150 for the coin

good luck and welcome to the boards

pleaee pm me if you want anymore information

Thanks Michael,

I think I,ll put supermacro picts of it up and see what anyone thinks. I can see very fine scratches on it on the obv. The rev has even fewer scratches.

Pat

Supermacro pictures added ourgoldcoinobv-4.jpgourgoldcoinrev-2.jpg

I've seen dealers say such things as a negotiating tactic in the hope of buying the coin for a cheap price.

Your 1880-S appears to have been cleaned fairly thoroughly from the images provided, but it still has substantial value due to the gold content.

yes like tomb says

also

and an ugly cleaned close to unc coin so my value in the last post stands

if you do not need the money i would just keep the coin as i feel the coin will be worth more and in more demand within the next few years

my prediction............... but so far in federal coinage i have been mostly wrong

good luck!