• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeelandia 1793 find

8 posts in this topic

Hi all .. coin from a joblot in cumbria and i don't have the relevant book .. can anyone help ID it and approximate value please

S1793zee.jpg

S1793zeer.jpg

The coin is a 1793 Netherlands duit from Zeeland.

It looks to be about VG-F, and is worth about $10.

Here's a slightly nicer duit from Holland...

MS66duit.jpg

I have a few of those as well with the turnip mintmark.

Did this come from a certain Swedish gentleman? Mine all did. Six from Holland, three from West Friesland. They make a nice set.

Yep, from the same gent :)

I asked him where the hoard came from and he replied that he bought them from a coin-ignorant junk dealer years ago who got them from an elderly couple. Heck of a find!

But even with there being quite a few of these nice out there, I'm still stunned at the low prices they command! When he started unloading these on ebay they were going $60-80 or better, now $30-40 seems a struggle (one of mine went for $33 this weekend!). Really rather absurd to my mind, considering what an average IHC in these grades would bring...

Oh well. Here's another nice, old Dutch coin :)

Neth-Hollandia-1s-1760.jpg

Possibly my favorite Dutch coin that I actually own...

1666-1.jpg

Ola is a real gentleman, I met him one year at the NYINC coin show and we chatted for a bit. While not a wealthy man (he's a retired civil servant) his passion and eye for quality coins is quite amazing.

I believe the duits were minted from Swedish copper, which is why they were found in Sweden.

Believe it or not I bought a similar 1760 1S piece from him too, almost identical to yours. NGC graded it MS62.

Agreed that prices on the duits have dropped from +/- $80 to about $35 these days. But I'm not a full time coin dealer or investor, and I'm happy to own them. When I do sell my collection I'm sure the gains I have made will greatly offset the losses.

And I'm sure Ola can put the extra money towards a comfortable retirement. Money isn't everything...