• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a Large cent have two N Numbers?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all .. picked this 1843 Large cent from my friend in cumbria and when i have looked at it closely it seems to match N-6 with repunching matching on the 1 & 8 but it also has something going on with the 4 as N-8 and also seems to have a bit of a snotty nose like N-8 ..any ideas..

Also how much should i give him for the coin as i have no idea what price would be fair with the scratch on the Obverse (happened after he viewed it in the job lot at the auction room)

thanks dooly

1843n-6.jpg

1843n-6r.jpg

1843n6c.jpg

Yes it is possible for a cent to have two numbers, but only if one of them ha been delisted because because one is just a later die state of the other. For example 1838 N-11 and N-13.

On your coin considering N-6 is a Mature head and N-8 is a Petite head you can't possibly have one cent with those two numbers. Yours looks like N-8 the file marks over star 6 seem to clinch it.

Cheers Conder101

Thanks for that .. you know what i must have been having a thick moment there (again i hear you all say !) different heads lol

Yep file marks are there although weak so N-8 it is .. these die varieties are coming in thick and fast at the moment wish my dansco would hurry up and get hear !!

I also agree on N-8, considered "common". N-6 is eliminated because the point of the bust does not point to the tip of the 1. I would grade it as VF 35-XF 40 but the obverse surfaces bother me a bit. Light corrosion? I would go somewhere in the $40-$50 range but less if it is in fact corroded. If you are looking for a decent type piece with no problems, I think you might be able to do better without a whole lot more money involved.

I'm glad you posted this question. I learned the difference between "petite head" and "Mature head" as well as difference in reverses of 1842 and 1844. I also learned that I need another reference besides Newcomb. He's hard for me to work with. :frustrated:

Whenever anyone asks what books to use for attributing the middle and late date large cents I always recommend avoiding Newcomb. Yes it's cheaper, the calligraphy is interesting, and you get both series in one book, but Wright and Grellman are MUCH easier to use. Newcomb can be used on the middle dates, but trying to use it on the late dates is an exercise in frustration.

Whenever anyone asks what books to use for attributing the middle and late date large cents I always recommend avoiding Newcomb. Yes it's cheaper, the calligraphy is interesting, and you get both series in one book, but Wright and Grellman are MUCH easier to use. Newcomb can be used on the middle dates, but trying to use it on the late dates is an exercise in frustration.

I second that (thumbs u Conder101