• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1910 nickel with problem

16 posts in this topic

"Lamentation error" - happens when the guys in the rolling department are very sad. As they cry, their tears fall on the hot metal and it causes the metal to blister and crack.... Coins struck from the damaged metal look like your 1910 five-cent piece.

I was thinking what might have caused the Mint employees to weep and was reminded that it might have been the fact that Earth was passing through tail of Halley's Comet on May 18, 1910. It caused near-panic when cyanogen gas was discovered in the tail. Entrepreneurs tried to capitalize on the event by selling "Anti-Comet Pills" at the rather high price of $1 per pill.

Wow, Halley's Comet. I'm old but not that old. My Dad was born on May 5th, 1910. I always thought his birth date of 5-5-10 was so neat. Pat

I was fortunate enough to observe it in 1986. ;)

180px-Comet_Halley-1.jpg

If weeping caused it back then there will surely be alot of lamination in days an weeks ahead. The coin is like alot of the silver war nickels they were bad to laminate.

Matt,

It looks more like your 1912 then your 1911. Do you think NGC would grade this or should he send to NCS first?

They have been very tough lately.

It may be a nice lamination, but it looks like it may have a little damage and NGC won't slab it that way. I'd send it to NCS

19125cerror-1.jpg