• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! intresting detector find

21 posts in this topic

Hi all been out with the detector and found this War Type medal and have had a look about but I can find no reference to it all i can tell is that it dates from the First World War MDCCCCXVI (1916)

anyone any ideas ??

med1.jpg

med.jpg

(thumbs u great information coindude .. so it's form Hungry i wonder how it ended up in Gateshead on a old park ?

go for a Garret Ant i use the 1250 euro and it is a belting machine .. the 500 and 550 are a bit cheaper but dang good and i found a lot of Gold with them.. today we have been out between snow storms today with my mate from London .. It was his first time out detecting and he was lucky enough to find a good coin in his first hole !!!!!!!!!!

Colly looking a bit like a new detectorist lol

100_0668.jpg

His first signal

100_0669.jpg

yep its in that lump

100_0670.jpg

crack it and unwrap it

100_0671.jpg

Lump is getting smaller signal getting stronger

100_0672.jpg

Finally his first coin and not a bad one at that a Victoria Penny 1876 H in dam good condition .. git!!!

100_0673.jpg

We only managed about one and a half hours on the site before he was frozen to the core and the Snow came bleaching down ..

But not a bad hall for his first attempt

100_0675.jpg

100_0674.jpg

Hope you liked the story (thumbs u

oh my goodness...I'm convinced !! I'm buying a detector !! I live here in Southern Maryland and we have quite a history-- St Mary's City was founded in 1638...we have a lot of activity of the civil war...it was a common practice among civil war combatants to bury any money they had on them before a big battle, in case they were killed during action then the victors would not find the money in their pockets when searching the dead...

Could be some great stuff around all of these old tobacco barns and long-gone settlements...

Dooly, what is the least I can expect to pay for a quality detector?

oh my goodness...I'm convinced !! I'm buying a detector !! I live here in Southern Maryland and we have quite a history-- St Mary's City was founded in 1638...we have a lot of activity of the civil war...it was a common practice among civil war combatants to bury any money they had on them before a big battle, in case they were killed during action then the victors would not find the money in their pockets when searching the dead...

Could be some great stuff around all of these old tobacco barns and long-gone settlements...

Dooly, what is the least I can expect to pay for a quality detector?

second hand or new?

I sold my Garrett 500 last year for £81 .. which was a very good machine and could handle most jobs

Great thread, glad you are posting again, really missed the Daft Englishman. John

Looks like Colly has been bitten by the bug now Dooly. Nice finds, I assume you contributed to some of those finds. Great post. :applause::headbang:

Great thread, glad you are posting again, really missed the Daft Englishman. John

Looks like Colly has been bitten by the bug now Dooly. Nice finds, I assume you contributed to some of those finds. Great post. :applause::headbang:

Yo betya! he phoned me last night to ask about which detector he should get :applause:

great finds....just to caution folks in the US though....

I have owned 2 detectors in the past 10 years, a Garrett with a hot coil and a nice White's model that cost me $1000 dollars....

I have hunted parks, woods, backyards, beaches etc. I have never made any significant finds. No gold, no silver, plenty of junk and some corroded wheat pennies but nothing that would even cover the cost of my gas to drive to pick up the detectors I have purchased.

People see these kind of threads and they get all excited and think that there is burried treasue under the ground everwhere but I am here to tell you it's just not reality. People do get lucky and find nice stuff.....but i would imagine that's the exception and not the norm. Reasearching your home town history to find sites of old parks, drive in movies etc can make a world of difference but do not purchase a detector thinking your going to get rich. It's good exercise and the thrill of the hunt is exciting but again....you can be out digging holes for 5 hours and come home with nothing but dirty finger nails :o

thanks Shane for the reality check..you're right about not expecting to get rich but I do enjoy being outside and not to be taken the wrong way, but Orlando can hardly compare to Southern Maryland for US historical importance...

Dr Mudd's house is a few miles away, Civil War concentration camp is down the shore (Point Lookout) where bubonic plaque broke out and it was burned to the ground ( a few skeletal remains can still be found--buildings not human)..war of 1812, civil war, revolutioinary war...yada yada yada..my point is, we have so many historical sites here that many are just being abandoned, ( sadly there are 200+ year old houses that are left to rot away--the historical societies can't save them all)

Just like coin collecting for me...my greatest thrill is in the hunt and excitement of the rare find !!

Was the White's a good one?..I've gained a spare tire this winter with the holiday festivities and would like to start doing this in the spring for exercise as well...

Are there gages to set for precious metals only?..

Yes...the whites was a very good machine.....just no real good hunting places that I could locate around here. Kellco is right here in Longwood, FL so I can drive over and pick up detectors (thumbs u

You are spot on there kryptonitecomics. you in the USA are poorly supplied with sites to hunt with any age. so your chances of hitting a nice item are few and far between .. unlike the UK were every field i have ever detected on has had coins in it and you have to go through the junkers to find the star items .. I would love to know how many coins i have found over the years, it must now be in the tens of Thousands.

I remember when i first started to detect I did some local parks and beaches to find spending money and within 2 months i had collected £550 in small change and paid for my detector.. now you would not see me on a park as the boredom of repeatedly finding 1p coins was to much .. so of I went onto "older" ground and i have never looked back.

PS. anyone planing a trip to the UK please PM me and i will gladly take you out detecting and find you some nice old stuff

all the best dooly :devil:

For sale at spink's June 2009 sale Detector found buy me :applause:

NCSVEP.jpg

is there a good machine for underwater and above water?

All modern machines will go into water till you get to the brains.. but to use underwater you need a specific machine as they are weighted for use under water

Hi there MunkyMan95 not sure should be in the £100-£150 Guesstamate range but it is new to the market so how knows (shrug)