• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some recent Ebay sales, how the prices compared to my cost and a few thoughts..

73 posts in this topic

Howdy D*ck. I don't know that there is a good way to have a stated restocking fee policy on ebay without having it come across as possibly very dangerous to a large number of folks. I know you and know that you will waive the fee, but others don't know you and may rightly be uncomfortable with the terms of sale. In my case, when the seller is someone I don't know, then I can't bid on those items.

How bad can the problem of returns be for you? You sell much more than I do on ebay and you take consignments, which in both instances can create headaches, but I have never had a high return rate on my coins.

Returns are never a problem but I am not looking for trouble. Because of this thread I have changed the wording:

" 7 day return from day received if item is returned in the unopened and undamaged holder in which it was shipped less the shipping and handling charges (including insurance charges if applicable) and excesive returns are subject to a 10% restocking fee. Please email me before bidding for any clarification on this policy."

Does this look better to you. Comments welcome.

Regards

Richard

Great Toning LLC

Returns are never a problem but I am not looking for trouble. Because of this thread I have changed the wording:

" 7 day return from day received if item is returned in the unopened and undamaged holder in which it was shipped less the shipping and handling charges (including insurance charges if applicable) and excesive returns are subject to a 10% restocking fee. Please email me before bidding for any clarification on this policy."

Regards

Richard

Great Toning LLC

Mr. D, please add another "s" to "excesive" ;)

Also, you are probably opening a can of worms with your language: "excesive returns are subject to a 10% restocking fee. Please email me before bidding for any clarification on this policy". It is too vague as is, and if you explain it to someone who asks for clarification, you'd better be darned sure you make it perfectly clear/specific. Personally, I'd suggest that you eliminate the restocking fee entirely. And if you end up with a small number of bad bidders, just "eliminate" them too. :devil:

Regards

Richard

Great Toning LLC

Richard, I think that's a step in the right direction, but I would still not bid on the auction based on these terms (although reading what you wrote in this thread would help get past some of my concern, if I didn't have that information and most eBay users won't, the terms above would still make me instantly shy away from your auctions). Bottom line: When I see the word "restocking charge", I move on. Respectfully...Mike

Any body that states a restocking charge also seems like a scammer to me, so I pass those actions up too. i realize that you are not a scammer, but the words you chose are a definite put off. If a coin isn't as described or photographed I don't want to have to pay a restocking fee on top of shipping and insurance, why should I be penalized, why should the seller be rewarded, my objective was only to buy the coin and not to make a business of returning them unless it wasn't what i was expecting and a seller should be understanding of that ie cost of doing business.

i my self choose a return period based on item. if its raw coin (3 days) if its a comic (7 days) jewelry (3 days) .

out of all my sales i have had 2 returns in all my ebay history :) that was jewlery

I also pass on the auctions with restocking fees, FWIW. If the coins were being sold by Russ, for example, you may have fared better.

Sorry about the disappointing results, but like someone stated earlier, you have selected out the coins that were slow to sell. The results may have been different if you took the coins that you got three immediate email/phone requests for and sold them on ebay instead. Come to think of it, that may be an excellent strategy to maximize your yield from your inventory. ;)

I appreciate the feedback and will give "no restocking" fees a try. Now lets see all you "passers" bid!! . :signfunny:

Starting this Sunday:

Please note these are not approval auctions. 7 day return from day received if item is returned in the unopened and undamaged holder in which it was shipped less the shipping and handling charges (including insurance charges if applicable)

I appreciate the feedback and will give "no restocking" fees a try. Now lets see all you "passers" bid!! . :signfunny:

Starting this Sunday:

Please note these are not approval auctions. 7 day return allowed from the day item is received if item is returned in the unopened and undamaged holder in which it was shipped less the shipping and handling charges.

Mr. D., you should include mandatory insurance to avoid potential problems with buyers who would otherwise decline it, and then use a charge back if the item wasn't received.

So, in addition to removing the reference to insurance, I have taken the liberty of recommending the addition of a few words (which I have inserted in bold, so that you can see them) to your text, above. And, I would suggest using a comma after "received" and another after "shipped".

Edited to add: Good for you for the way in which you listened to suggestions/criticisms without getting defensive about it and for being willing to try a change in your terms. Best of luck.

Wow - Just from the prices someone seems to have gotten a really good deal on the Barbers, Capped Bust, and Lexington (I did not check the others). They all went for below Bid (Greysheet) some way below.

I just have to wonder what they really looked like. CDN Bid on the Lex is $525 - looks like that one went for a real bargain to someone. A lot of folks in here would have loved to have gotten that rip!

I would have liked to have bid on these as I am sure they must have been nice coins. Its a shame they did not want to pay anything for this.

After commissions you will probably lose about $1000+ on the deal.

Selling coins with no or little reserve on the Bay is a huge mistake these days.

Starting this Sunday:

Please note these are not approval auctions. 7 day return from day received if item is returned in the unopened and undamaged holder in which it was shipped less the shipping and handling charges (including insurance charges if applicable)

I would feel comfortable bidding with those terms. :)

I wanted to say that in 999 out of 1000 cases I don't charge a restocking fee. I say "subject to" just to let people know that my auctions are not approval auctions. If there is any other good way to get my point accross in this matter I would like your imput.

I wouldn't worry too much about a 10% re-stocking fee. A lot of Ebay sellers won't even take returns on slabbed coins and some won't take returns at all. There has to be a way to protect your investment in time and fees.Your way isn't that bad.