• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Continuing to Photograph my Moderns - Proof SBAs (part 2)

5 posts in this topic

I wanted to first say thank you again to everyone who liked my photos and replied to my first thread on the pics of my commemoratives. I've been busy photographing some more coins, and thought I'd post my proof SBAs. It's a complete set, all PCGS PR-69DC except for the 1999-P which is still in its original Mint capsule/holder.

I bought the 1979-81 Type 1 proofs in a set from Teletrade about 3 years ago. I should've been more careful, since they were all kinda toned. Well, "kinda" may be an understatement -- you can judge from the photos.

I noticed in shooting these that they all had the same basic shape to the fields, which resulted in the same pattern of light and dark. But, the 1999-P was very different. Again, you can see that in the photos. Also, these may appear worse than my commemoratives 'cause I had to shoot through semi-reflective slabs that tend to have highlights and scratches where you don't want them. :(

Also, before I actually post the coins, I put together a comparison montage of the proof S mintmarks:

S_Mintmark_Comparison.jpg

And now the pictures of the coins:

1979STy1_PR69DC_large.jpg

1979STy2_PR69DC_large.jpg

1980S_PR69DC_large.jpg

1981STy1_PR69DC_large.jpg

1981STy2_PR69DC_large.jpg

1999P_PR_large.jpg

Very nice pictures, and I like the mint mark comparison! (thumbs u

I am, however, curious about the grade on the '79 T1 - I've never seen a proof 96. :baiting::grin:

I am, however, curious about the grade on the '79 T1 - I've never seen a proof 96. :baiting::grin:

He's trying to subtly switch over to the 100 point system.

He's trying to subtly switch over to the 100 point system.

It was a type-o, nothing more. ;) And it's now been fixed.