• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die polish lines?

9 posts in this topic

Can you guys tell from this picture if the lines going across this 79S Morgan are die lines? That's what the seller claims.They are incredibly straight but they pass over both high and low spots. Thanks

72197.jpg.a74f3ccc710187584334166d334f9833.jpg

I agree with Mark - this coin is not worth it. I do not think those are die polish lines - die polish lines normally do not go up into the devices like that. That leaves two basic options - cleaning, or planchet striations. Sometimes on a weakly struck Morgan, you will see a series of parallel lines left over from rolling the stock. Can't really tell which is affecting that coin.

More info on die polish copy/pasted from the entry for 1960D in my registry set:

To some collectors, die polish lines are an immediate turn off – some argue that the eye appeal is seriously hurt by these polish lines. I disagree, and think that they are interesting. When a mint worker noticed a die that had clashed, or needed cleaning, he would take a wire brush and polish the die. This left raised lines on the coin, and can range from light to very heavy. These die polish lines are often used to positively attribute a die variety, since the polishing on two different dies never looks the same. Collectors must be aware, however, of the difference between die polishing lines and lines due to cleaning. After a coin is cleaned by a wire brush or some other harsh method, ugly and unsightly lines will be left on the surface of the coin. Two important differences aid the collector in identifying the two different kinds of lines – 1.) Die polish lines are raised on the surface of the coin, since they are scraped onto the surface of the die. Remember, the die is the inverse of the coin. Cleaning lines are sunk into the surface of the coin. With proper lighting and experience, the difference can be ascertained. 2.) Die polish lines will appear to go under the devices; cleaning lines go across the devices. Think about how a die appears: anything that is going to be raised on a coin is sunk into a die. When the mint worker polishes the fields of the die, his brush does not go down into the devices. When someone cleans a coin, however, the devices are now raised above the fields. The brush must go across the devices, and will leave marks on the top of the devices. This is an important difference, and one of the first things to look for if you suspect a coin has been cleaned.

Sorry, I can't tell for certain. But either way, I see nothing appealing about the coin and wouldn't chance it.

(thumbs u

i will just add this about the coin------------ :sick:

I don't believe they are die polish lines. I think they are rolling striations. One thing that might tell you for sure is to look at the reverse and see if it has similar lines running in the same direction.

I agree with Mark - this coin is not worth it. I do not think those are die polish lines - die polish lines normally do not go up into the devices like that. That leaves two basic options - cleaning, or planchet striations. Sometimes on a weakly struck Morgan, you will see a series of parallel lines left over from rolling the stock. Can't really tell which is affecting that coin.

More info on die polish copy/pasted from the entry for 1960D in my registry set:

To some collectors, die polish lines are an immediate turn off – some argue that the eye appeal is seriously hurt by these polish lines. I disagree, and think that they are interesting. When a mint worker noticed a die that had clashed, or needed cleaning, he would take a wire brush and polish the die. This left raised lines on the coin, and can range from light to very heavy. These die polish lines are often used to positively attribute a die variety, since the polishing on two different dies never looks the same. Collectors must be aware, however, of the difference between die polishing lines and lines due to cleaning. After a coin is cleaned by a wire brush or some other harsh method, ugly and unsightly lines will be left on the surface of the coin. Two important differences aid the collector in identifying the two different kinds of lines – 1.) Die polish lines are raised on the surface of the coin, since they are scraped onto the surface of the die. Remember, the die is the inverse of the coin. Cleaning lines are sunk into the surface of the coin. With proper lighting and experience, the difference can be ascertained. 2.) Die polish lines will appear to go under the devices; cleaning lines go across the devices. Think about how a die appears: anything that is going to be raised on a coin is sunk into a die. When the mint worker polishes the fields of the die, his brush does not go down into the devices. When someone cleans a coin, however, the devices are now raised above the fields. The brush must go across the devices, and will leave marks on the top of the devices. This is an important difference, and one of the first things to look for if you suspect a coin has been cleaned.

Thanks Physics!! :acclaim: That was very educational. I bought a 1938 S MS 65 raw quarter and felt it was cleaned once in hand (got off ebay). Once I inspected it further I saw the lines were raised and came to the conclusion you stated above about polish lines but never knew in detail, how they came about. :headbang: