• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Late Fun Show pics(WARNING DIALup'rs)

46 posts in this topic

A couple of random pics and some brief commentary . Not a solid report , but I talk/type too much so I'll let the pics talk a little this time.

1st ; Entry way to the Bourse Area

DSCN0033.jpg

2009 FUN Show Luncheon

Next year I think we will need a bigger box

The light meal this year was Subs and salads

Again T-Y's to the staff for putting up another great luncheon where we could relax and share a light bite during the show.

That's Mark Salzberg sitting at the table on the left side with glasses.

DSCN0034.jpg

Shane(Krytonitecomics) with the most subdued FUN show shirt ....and then Chris(CPM9Ball) ...this years winner 'Most Flambouyant shirt' award !

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

Mark Salzberg ...saying '...and next up for bid is this wondeful bottle of water'....no , and no he is wearing a tie- not the bottle..(.I couldn't get a decent angle)...speaking on the topics of Slab security measures , the coin market in general , new market expansion in China .........and most important to customers and registry participants...yes , photo imaging along with the encapsulation process whereby NGC will have an image of each encapsulated coin on record (somewhere) as another counterfeit deterrent measure , and he went into how NGC is looking into making available encapsulation 'Good by: ' dating system based upon the encapsulation number and date of , for guarantees like the NGC 10 year grade guarantee on coppers.

This expiration 'dating' system is a HUGE plus to buyers who want to further ensure that an item has its guarantee intact at purchase time . Also , you can't see it , but Scott Schechter . was there to fill in the gaps and go further into details during the Q&A session that followed Mark's informative 'chat' with us .

DSCN0037.jpg

AS an added BONUS to those that happen to read this thread/post .....

A GIVEAWAY !

I'm going to hold a caption contest .

Basic rules....submit via reply to post with your caption for what you think Lou (IGWT) is telling or instructing Chris (CPM9Ball) in the foyer after the luncheon . Bonus points for what you think the thought bubble would say over Shane's (Kryptonite) head at the same moment.

I'll review the comments, and in about a week , say on January 21, 2009 and pick the winner and runner up . The three stooges in the pic are exempt from the contest, as am I , of course .

Prizes :

1st correct answer :

one ,RAW, very NEW 2009 ASE ! That's right the new bullion is already out .

2nd runner up :

2003 Missouri waffled quarter in NGC holder .

DSCN0038.jpg

IGWT: Look... I know what you're thinking... but I'm gonna swipe up all the good stuff... so why'd you even show....

CP: (Dude.... Dude... Dude.... Dude!) (then spoken out loud) Dude!

Krypto: (DUDE!)

That's the best I could do at this hour of the night!

Goodnight to all.

Everyone on the 'list' that made it into the luncheon before the doors were closed received an NGC special FUN show slab with the NEW scratch resistant edgeview holder . When Mark & Scott spoke of the special coating , Shane and I took mine and tried to scratch it up with my car keys.....man that is some tough coating...didn't leave a mark !

DSCN0073.jpg

This slab did have the new improved halogram covered label on the reverse , but NGC used the same title label as last year's coin on the front . The new NGC Obverse slab labels now have additional security features like embedded halograms and new layout.

On the floor , stopped by the CONECA table and spoke with Robert(BOB) Neff (WavySteps here)about some clashes on a nickel that I want to pair up with another from the same die after the die was repaired , but we couldn't find any markers on the 'new improved' post-clash die repaired nickels from the same roll....hafta go back and look though the rest ...I just know I'll find one .

DSCN0043.jpg

I spent Friday selling coins that were upgraded , and picked up a decent 1962 PF cent with some nice Cameo on the reverse from Angel Dee's Coins table , picked up a couple low grade Walkers for my album set at the DSS table after all but giving away some old Morgans and other odd coins ...they should be able to make a few bucks off of those...took us about a hour to try and swindle each other on the prices , but we came to an agreement in the end , so I was not disappointed . Wizard had their supply stash in the back , but nobody in the Wizard suit this time ...picked up some Mylar coin flips and currency flips and a new 7X lit pocket mag .

Saturday , I enjoyed the luncheon and seeing friends , but flipped my interest over to the paper money side . I ran into the Carolina crowd tucked into a corner booth and picked up a CH CU $20 with a 'quad center-radar' .

I picked up a 1919 Walker in G from a bargain bin on the N.Florence C&J table from the Alabama guys ( I know ...supposed to be a Note day , but....)

Finally made it over to the dedicated note dealer area ....waited patiently to see one of the note guys I met on Saturday....waited some more ....gave up and met a few other note folks in the note dealer area in the very back corner of the bourse .

I met and had a most interesting conversation with Larry Emard out of Oregon . I picked up several notes for my Cert $5 set and they will be sub'd for me through his service. I sold a $20 note that he needed for his personal set , so I was happy to have had something he needed as well .He mentioned that Saturday a guy walked up and bought one of his full cases of $5s off the table ....man I guess I'll hafta start off with the Note tables first next time .

Overall I had a great time. The idea of the recession never entered my mind , but then I went with a game plan and almost kept to my show budget ....got to spend a week in O-town with the family ....the car made it there and back without any traffic problems ...and won several lots in the Heritage Auction at way below top prices . 2009 is starting out half-way decent so far . It is definitely a buyers market for just about anything that is not rare or a key date , but the availability of 'good' material is starting to slow down with more people thinking of holding onto the 'good' stuff until they can determine that the bullish market is either going to continue or drop off . I've done my part and put some 'good' stuff back into the market with my sales , but I wonder if anyone else is going to let go of their extras and keep enough material out there moving?

-

john

I don't believe I was saying anything...I don't take kindly to being told what to do and we all know how bossy Lou can be lol

Always fun to see everyone and this year was extra special with my health issues doh!

I don't believe I was saying anything...I don't take kindly to being told what to do and we all know how bossy Lou can be lol

Always fun to see everyone and this year was extra special with my health issues doh!

DSCN0038-1.jpg

Wow...shows have changed since I was at one...many moons ago..

Back then all the guys were bald, heavy and smoking cigars and had meaty drippy sandwiches in hand and the wives were watching the tables. I miss those days... :(

Had many a fun day in my collecting "youth"...

great reports and good people abet not too physically attractive ( i guess i should talk) but i am beautiful inside inner beauty and all that

i am wondering are there any on here who are attractive young, in shape and cute/handsome ?? hm

Just what I need for my self esteem....more short jokes lol

But you have a very TALL presence on the boards, Shane. ;)

I'll never forget the time you sent me the Coin World articles at your own expense. It is very seldom in my experience that anyone has ever done me a rrighteous deed in this world and I appreciate it when one does. So, you shall always be 7 foot tall to me! (thumbs u

Thanks Vic.....I gave Chris a pretty nice textile toned Morgan at the show :acclaim:

I told him that at every major show I walk around and find a YN with his or her parents and I give away a nice slabbed coin to get them interested. This year is was a common date MS63 Morgan in an old NGC fatty with rim toning and you know how Chris is about rim toning so he got down on one knee and said pick me I am a YN lol So I pulled out another Morgan and handed it too him....what can I say...he couldn't refuse :sumo:

Here's the coin I gave him...

TonedMorgan3001.jpg

TonedMorgan3008.jpg

TonedMorgan3012.jpg

TonedMorgan3016.jpg

I truly mean it when I say I love to give stuff away and my kids want for nothing becuase I am over the top sometimes lol I get a lot back as well as Coin gave me a wonderful gift of a slabbed 1955 Frankie with rim toning so there are plenty of generous folks on these forums :foryou:

Chris is another generous soul. His mom was, as well. She drew my St. Bernard, Caleb, in pastels for me. We just packed it up yesterday for the road trip.

But, dang it! Chris sure looks like he's aged 10 yrs in the past three because of all the crapola his siblings has given him over the house. :(

That is a nice Christmas present you gave, Shane. We need more guys like you around!

Little Big man. (thumbs u

So, we finally left Tonopah today, two days behind schedule 'cause of all of the packing and cleaning. That sux enough but a bearing burned out on my trailer and I had to drive close to 50 miles to Indian Springs, the nearest town (44 miles north of Vegas on 95) I slowed down but it was glowing cherry red. Lucky the axle didn't break or worse. I'm hoping that a bearing replacement will fix it. So, tomorrow, I'll buy the parts and drive out to it and try to fix it.

Did arrive at my sister's house in Vegas. Lived here many, many years but I don't recognize most of it anymore since it has grown so much. So, I took the wrong exit to my sister's house, tried 215 to Lone Mtn, da,da,da... Ended up driving an hour and a half more than I should looking for it. Not the best day by far but at least we're alive.

I certainly hope that the rest of the trip is much, much better!

Actually , those are very good captions ( :grin: ) , but so far hm , it's a tie for runner up , between all the posts for funny stuff , but no correct guess so far on what Lou is saying ....2 more days :gossip: to guess or guess again for the first prize !

Good Luck !