• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some high end toned Franklin auction results from FUN.

5 posts in this topic

As you might guess, I've had more than a passing interest in the high end toned Franklin's that have been in the Bowers & Merena and Heritage FUN auctions.

B&M link

(Just plug in the other lot numbers in the "jump to lot" box).

At B&M the 3 high end toners were lots 757, a '49-S in NGC MS67FBL, lot 759, a '54-S in NGC MS67, and lot 761 a '59 in NGC MS67 (all 3 Lots are on page 119 of the virtual catalogue). Lot 757, had sold in 5/08 for $8,050 (all prices in this thread will be bid AND commission). It did not sell in this sale, and had only one bid (the reserve maybe?) at $5,348. Lot 759 had sold in 9/05 for $431 and 8/06 for $1,064. It sold in this sale for $1,035. Lot 761, the only one I was interested in, had sold in 2/05 for $5,060. For the date/mm it had quite nice toning. I put a bid on it of $2,300. To the best of my knowledge, my bid was the high bid, but the coin did not sell. It sure would have been helpful if B&M had listed the reserve on this coin (not that I would have raised my bid, solely that I might not have bothered bidding in the first place).

Heritage Franklin link

At Heritage the 4 coins that interested me were Lot 6063, a '51-S PCGS MS67 that sold in 9/05 for $1,438. For the date/mm this coin had very nice toning. I bid seriously on this coin ($2,300) and was the underbidder. C'est la vie. It went for $2,530. Lot 6064 coin was a 1957 PCGS MS67FBL that sold in 1/05 for $2,070. It sold in this auction for $4,025. IMO it has a very attractive obverse, but a blah reverse, so that this was a pretty steep price to pay for it. Lot 6065 was a 1957-D PCGS MS67 with nice but not killer toning. I haven't been able to track it, but comparables for the date/mm/grade are about $2,400. It went for $2,760. Lot 6066 was a 1958-D PCGS MS67FBL with very attractive toning. I haven't been able to track it, but comparables for the date/mm/grade are about $3,500. It went for $3,738, which IMO was a reasonable price for that coin.

So, what does all the above tell me? A) That the buyers of the non-sold items in the B&M sale paid too much for the coins originally and kept unrealistic reserves on them. B) That attractively toned high-end Franklins are actually appreciating in price, even given the current economy.

I don't really care for any of those B&M coins, but the heritage ones are nice (that 58D is killer!) Way out of my price range, but wow I sure would like to see some of those in hand.

In general I agree with you, but I thought the B&M '59 was attractive enough AT THE RIGHT PRICE, e.g. $2,300 or under. The '51-S was the one I was hot to trot on (even though IMO the reverse in NOT a 67), that's why my bid was over 50% higher than what it had previously sold for. I agree with you that the '58-D is killer. However, given that I already have a bunch of '58-D's including one, not as nice, but still pretty nice, in 67FBL, a purchase of ~$4,100 (assuming I could get it at that price) was a rather high hurdle for a WTF purchase.