• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help needed PF70 Modern Commemorative set - 1996 OLYMPICS COINS

10 posts in this topic

Wanted: good eyes to examine raw coins for possible 70's

Would anyone be interested in helping me get these ? It seems it would be a lot easier than trying to locate coins that are already slabbed.

1996P OLYMPICS HIGH JUMP has only 2 graded PF70 UC

Rowing has 5

Paralympics 6

Tennis 7

These 4 coins look like they might be the hardest of the set. Should I buy them raw ?

Anyone who knows how to grade them and can look before they buy, let me know. I will reward you well to locate these and any other relatively low pop coins, and have them slabbed in the hope of 70's (or already slabbed 70 if the price is good)

Whether you are a dealer or just visit a lot of coin shows or dealers and see a lot of raw commems.. are you out there ?

Of the 100 coins that may qualify for 70, you'd be lucky to have one graded such because it is more of a political game than cut and dry grading. You'd be better off to pay whatever high-dollared price the 70's bring that you need, IMO.

I sent in lots of commem gold to PCGS in November. They were generous with the MS gold, capturing 4 70's but all of the proofs got 69. You'd be better of sending them to NGC to get a PE70, I think.

It seems it would be a lot easier than trying to locate coins that are already slabbed.

Cheaper, maybe, if you were succesful, but how could it be easier?

It seems those which are already graded would be hard to get.. they are probably in sets already :( I know at least one of each is, because someone has a full PF70UC set

It's going to be a long road... just putting it out there, someone might have the time and want to check some coins. Treasure hunters we'll call them :) I'll pay them the premium if they are right and slab a 70

It seems those which are already graded would be hard to get.. they are probably in sets already :( I know at least one of each is, because someone has a full PF70UC set

It's going to be a long road... just putting it out there, someone might have the time and want to check some coins. Treasure hunters we'll call them :) I'll pay them the premium if they are right and slab a 70

Every once in a while I see these 1996 Olympic Comms on E Bay in Raw MS 69 and MS70 with inflated prices. Lots of Raw bu very few MS70 and PF70. Just do a search on 1996 Olympics PF70 or MS70.

You could try an auction house , like say Heritage , and put the coins and grades you want on a 'wish list' and then set up auto email when one comes up for auction.

I had a modern commem set , and a lot of my MS and PF 70 coins came from John Maben coins with the remainder from my very own submissions . Those were submitted over three-four years ago when it was tough to get a 70 , but not impossible .

The most helpful

(painful)

process to get over the 69 hill is actually the darndest little thing....what I call 'dust spots' on the coins surface anywhere .....if it is a proof and when you tilt that bugger and see the little microscopic pin-point shiny light spot that looks like the planchet was struck through a tiny partical (speck) of something ...sort of like taking a nail and tapping the very tip onto , say the frosted surface and leaving a itsy-bitsy shiny dot-speck there.....get the idea? Well that would be enough to nit-pick it outta the 70 . I do still have a 70 coin that got past the graders with not just one , but three of these such 'dots' , so even that is no guarantee all the time .....just remember , the coin has to go through 2 graders and both have to agree before the finalizer dude will send it on to the gorillas that pound it into the holders ( hopefully the holder with the right label , really....as I'm thinking that there is a PF70 UC coin out there somewhere that got put into one of my 69 holders that the coin in question belongs in ).

As I understand the water-cooler low-down , it is consistantly hinted that there is a secret 'reward' system for dealers to get at least one or two as a kick-back for large subs , but that is just bar room brawling material as there is always an odd that one or more moderns could get the 70 . I know I never send in huge amounts of coins and I have gotten more than my share of the 70s....but you really need to go through and look at a bunch of them to find one worth trying for that grade.....forget about dealer stock...unless they bought from the public and never looked at what they are buying , or bought a large quantity and just put it out as stock....most singles have been 'prescreened' into the case . I got most of mine directly from the mint and from purchases from non-collectors in single amounts , but you fish the holes where you think you'll get the best hits.

Man , I'm glad I auctioned those slabbed commems off...there is just no way financially that I could ever think of trying to keep up with all the stuff pouring out of the mint now . I'll just hang onto the raw ones I have , but will keep an eye out for any that I think might be good candidates for you if you want me to.

-John

Ps , these Olympic commems are getting harder to stumble across in decent quantities and condition any more...as it is .

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Even though I have other wants on my want list :)

And yeah, human error can never be ruled out. Until such time we have a more advanced programming language and software and super computers by today's standards, computer grading would also be impossible. I do think it could be done for 69/70 grades to a degree. Maybe.. but it is far too expensive anyway :)

I certainly don't want to pay a premium for a 70 only to find it is a 69 the graders have missed on a bad day.

There is no doubt that the 70 grade is hella sexXxy but I'd be afraid of what I'd wake up to once the alcohol (market fervor) wears off.

:juggle:

I only spotted two Olympic coin sets at the FUN show , although there may have been more , but I did not think either would have the Commems grade out 70s . I'll keep looking locally and elsewhere . If I sub one or two with the free earlybird certificate and it comes back 70 , I'll PM you and let you know the original cost and what I think would be fair for shipping and see if you still want it. Can't get any lower cost than that , but may take a long while to locate any ....and I do have to work and feed the family , but I'll keep an eye out.

-John

I am prepared to wait :D there are coins out there, slabbed already or not, only a few but they are out there.

Market expectation is another 10% down, who knows what will show up :) people are going to continue to lose jobs and shrinking 401's, some of these might show up at "bargain" prices which are more realistic. I am hoping !!

Coindude bought me another 2 commems at good prices :) you the man Sam !