• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anything odd about this 1976 proof quarter?

5 posts in this topic

I got a 3 coin bi-centennial proof set today.All great cameos coins and I notice that George is much more prominent than the others. Is this an incredible strike or not? I don't see a lot of modern proofs. Just thought I'd add a photo of the reverse.For some reason I couldn't get a decent one yesterday. The reverse is damn fine too.

70370.jpg.e4f030a2150c84de9185e2404898b453.jpg

70380.jpg.018b1ea980c28a2bc1b3f96d7d5b2703.jpg

The 1976 three-coin set in 90% silver yielded some really spectacular coins. Sometimes you got all three that were hammered and had excellent mirrors and super frosty devices, other times they were just mediocre proof coins.

By the looks of it, your Washington quarter was a early strike or perhaps an early refurbished die strike. I can’t believe after all these years, (original Mint price of $9 per set) that these sets can still be plucked off the shelves for under $25

To me, they are grossly under rated and unappreciated.

I can’t believe after all these years, (original Mint price of $9 per set) that these sets can still be plucked off the shelves for under $25

Actually the issue price for the three piece Proof set was $15. You would have better off putting your money in the bank at passbook interest rates than buying these sets at almost any market price since they were issued. I happen to like these coins, but most collectors seem to ignore them unless they are in slabs with an PR-70 Ultra Cam on them.

The troubles with modern Proof sets are two fold. First, the mintages are often too high for the coins to have any "investment" future. Second these sets end up being a case of out of sight, out of mind. Once the collectors who keep up with year sets of these things get their one set, the market for any new collectors who might be building an annual run of Proof sets is almost non-existent. The Gray Sheet prices for some Proof sets in the 1970s and ‘80s are less than $3.00. And since most dealers will pay no more than 8 to 10 percent below bid, that means that those low Gray Sheet prices are really “bargain” retail prices.

By the way if your quater is as nice on the reverse as it is on the obverse, it might be a PR-70 Ultra Cam. BUT if the reverse does not show the cameo contrast, it's a case of close but no cigar.

You are right BillJones. Investing in Modern sets is a suckers game.

I very rarely buy modern coins,especially since the TV hawkers came out of the woodwork. They are usually overpriced,even from the mint and really don't appreciate much if at all. Like I said This set cost about $12. I could have had a set without cameos for $7 to $8.I did see some selling for as much as $15. the only reason I bought this one is that all 3 coins were especially frosted cameos.