• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fairly dramatic results of conserving(2nd set photos added)

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I posted the original picture here about 6 months? ago. This was a bait and switch from an Ebay auction. They showed one picture of a Proof-like 1880S Morgan and this is what arrived. My landlord convinced me to hold on to it and since it cost me $30.00 I did. Still,I didn't know what to do with it. I knew it wouldn't realize much(if any) return if I tried to resell it. And, I wasn't sure if it was worth sending to NCS for conserving.

After posting the picture and going back and forth for awhile I was told it was probably contaminated with PVC. At his invitation,I decided to send it to an "expert" for his opinion. I sent a few others as well. He said it was definitely PVC residue and asked if I wanted it and one other conserved. Of course!!.said I. And,here is the result.Before pictures are on top. Pretty happy I kept the coin. I left out the experts name because I haven't asked him if he wants it known.

80sDMPL2IN12.jpg

How about these?These are without the plastic capsule.

80sDMPL2in1.jpg

I put up a a new set of photos.Some of what you didn't see was probably obscured by the plastic capsule. Obviously different lighting but the mirrors are dramatically clearer and the devices are much sharper. Of course it isn't perfect.There are some slight leftovers

You can see that the reflection of the white tabletop in the upper-left obverse image is sharper in the "after" version. It's a blur in the "before" image, and has a much sharper edge in the "after".

I see no great improvement, and I can't be sure there is any improvement at all because the lighting is different in the two photos. What some are calling conservation could be the result of the lighting.

Wow. I can see it in both sets of photos. And especially in hand. I can't believe you guys don't see it.Of course the toning spots are still there.It wasn't dipped. It's just so much clearer and sharper.There are a few remnants of stains but they really only show up with Macro photography.

All the photos were taken in the same spot.On the table right in front of my favorite chair with the same overhead 4 bank fluorescent light with the same camera. Obviously taken weeks or months apart.Coluld be different angles or camera settings.