• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1967 Canadian dollar

5 posts in this topic

Hey all.

First time in this category. My questions are about a 1967 Canadian Dollar. What percentage of silver? And, I came across some graded by ICCS. I can't find the meaning of the SP designation as in SP65. Lastly, what's a 1967 Canadian dollar graded SP 65 worth?

And then I couldn't find a website for ICCS. Are they still in business?

Thanks,Pete

I do not collect them so I making these staements off of memory. I believe the 1967 Canada dollar is 80% silver. SP stands for Specimen. As far as I know, ICCS is still in business and based upon other collector's comments, probably the most conservative grading service.

You could try Heritage rare coin galleries or Teletrade for recent prices.

The 1967 Canadian Dollar is .800 silver and .200 copper. There were two versions minted. One was called a "medal" and the other was for circulation. The medal was placed in a souvenir box and sold as a separate collectible. When those dollars were sent to ICCS for certification, they were graded as "SPECIMEN." NGC would have graded these coin "Proof Like" (e.g., MS65PL).

The International Coin Certification Service (ICCS) is a Toronto-based TPG known for conservative, technical grading. They are still doing business and can be contacted at 416-488-8620. ICCS only accepts submissions from retail members and not direct submissions.

As for the price, my Charlton 2006 catalog lists and MS65 for the Medal as C$150. It is probably a few Canadian dollars more these days. C$150 is about $119 based on today's exchange rate.

Scott :hi:

ICCS is definitely still in business, as previously stated. They are generally considered the company to send you coins to for grading, here in Canada. I also believe that they will accept submissions from anyone.

80% silver is correct.

There is a variety that sells for quite a bit more, it's called the "diving goose". This is actually a rotated die. Check the obverse and make sure the Queen is right-side-up. With a finger on the top of the coin's edge and your thumb on the bottom, spin the coin to view the reverse. Usually the goose will be upside-down. If the goose is facing down, you've got yourself a "diving goose" variety. (thumbs u

Andy