• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington medal grade and double struck questions

4 posts in this topic

I am getting some medals and tokens together and thought

about submitting this one.

Do you think its worth submitting?

And, It appears double struck on the reverse. Would NGC

mark it as an error or do these typically look like this?

Stefanie

3dad81ea.jpg

55785ecf.jpg

It is extremely common to be able to see evidence of multiple strikings on 19th century medals like this, mostly because they were struck - many multiple times. It is rare to find an old medal that does not have at least some such evidence. This one shows it more strongly than usual, and it would have been considered a detriment at one time, and perhaps still so today. Grading using old time nomenclature, I would say it is very near "extremely fine".

Edited to add: the reason I state that the evidence of double-striking may be a detriment for this medal is that the dies were obviously unacceptably rotated and adjusted between strikings.

It looks to me that the reverse die has rotated. I can make out remnants of an earlier "C" below and left (increases) and an earlier "E" above right (fame). Possibly the die was loose and rotated between strikes? Can't see any doubling on the obverse. Nice brown color. Nice medal!!!!!!!