• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any early ACG slabbed coins out there?

12 posts in this topic

ASA-accugrade.com shows a few pictures. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but one of them is a Morgan dollar.

I did, however, find books written on Morgan dollars that are graded with the Accugrade system, mint state and proofs. Just Google accugrade books

and the page should come up. The Morgan dollar books are the first listed. For some reason, the link I posted here (and deleted later) doesn't work.

RI AL

ASA-accugrade.com shows a few pictures. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but one of them is a Morgan dollar.

I did, however, find books written on Morgan dollars that are graded with the Accugrade system, mint state and proofs. Just Google accugrade books

and the page should come up. The Morgan dollar books are the first listed. For some reason, the link I posted here (and deleted later) doesn't work.

RI AL

And it has to be noted that the Accugrade system has NOTHING to do with the Sheldon scale!

If I remember correctly from what I read from the numorous hearings (ANA and Court) Accugrade system of grading is wholey the Hagers invention.

If I am incorrect please correct me.

You are correct MauleMall. I can't remember the specifics of thier grading system,but it included eye appeal.

The reason I ask about early ACG slabs is that on of the founders of PCGS was working there during this time. I believe it was David Hall.

Weren't the early ACG slabs like the early large photo slabs issued by PCI? Where is Conder when you need him?

Conder is around but he's on a dial up connection at the moment and he doesn't have any of the ACG slab varieties uploaded to photobucket. Possibly tomorrow after I get back to my wireless connection.

Yes the earliest ACG slabs were photoslabs and there are several different varieties of them. (Oddly enough, two years after they started for some reason they very briefly switched to photocertificates. Then they returned to the photoslabs and then finally to the smaller PCGS sized slabs. During these early years ACG was based in Connecticut but they also had branch offices in Des Moines Iowa and at least two offices in California. (The two offices may not have been open at the same time, it may be a case of one office that moved from one location to another.) These other offices closed before ACG moved to Florida. Around 2004 they also produced some sealed oversized flip "slabs" for cobs that would not fit in a standard slab.

ACG is supposedly still active and is supposed to be concentrating on Canadian material. I have one ACG piece with a slabbed Canadian token claiming a linking between ACG and ICCS which I find hard to believe. The slab is a return to the photoslab but they seem to have disappeared now.

Maulemall is correct that the ACG grading system does not relate to the Sheldon system of the ANA grading system (Which also has no connection to the Sheldon system. The only thing they have in common are the numbers used.)

Yup. I've seen that before.I've never seen the slab Shatzy posted.Weird. I think they dumped the .5 thing pretty early. There was another company who used the same system for awhile.

Really nice Morgan!!I Is that an 86 O?I like it. Like I said, I've seen some very nice Morgans in early ACG slabs.

I've been informed ACG has/had three slab types.But Shatzy's post contradicts my info. The earliest had "Established in 1984" on the back. The middle years removed the 1984 and the 3rd type are blue slabs.

I haven't seen the blue slabs and of the two earlier ACG's I have, both are the first type.

It looks like Shatzy has one even earler.

I've been informed ACG has/had three slab types.

I list over 24 different varieties of ACG holder. Three general types though, the large photoslab, the photocertificate, and the small sized slab