• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever had this happen?

11 posts in this topic

I bought an NGC MS62 1839 half dime yesterday at Santa Clara and attempted to register it on my Registry Type set. It turned out to be registered in someone else's name so I got a message that NGC would confirm it was mine. It was duly confirmed to be mine, so I just checked out my Type Set online to confirm it was on there and noticed there was an "owner's description" icon that was "filled in". Given that I didn't write a description I wondered what was up and clicked on it. In the appropriate pop-up page under owners description it said, "ex- Jim Gray". (This provenance was not marked on the slab BTW).

Have you ever had some sort of description/provenance cross over to your slab from someone else's previous ownership?

Secondly, has anyone ever heard of Jim Gray, and was he some sort of half dime collector?

Have you ever had some sort of description/provenance cross over to your slab from someone else's previous ownership?

Secondly, has anyone ever heard of Jim Gray, and was he some sort of half dime collector?

Hi Sy,Yes, this happened to my transfer just this week and no, haven't heard of JG.

Yep, it's happened... and while I was waiting for the transfer I had taken pictures of the coin, uploaded them... when the transfer went through new pictures appeared!

I found a reference to Jim Gray in connection with Liberty Seated Dimes.

Liberty Seated Dimes Varieties 1837-1891 - Liberty Seated ... Auction News by Jim Gray. - Notes from the LSCC Regional meeting at the Baltimore Coin Show, November 11th by Bill Bugert. - Liberty Seated Coinage on ...

www.seateddimevarieties.com/LSCC.htm - 77k - Cached - Similar pages

Starting in Volume 2#4 of April 2006, he writes a column called "Auction News". He is still writing as of the November 2008 edition.

RI AL

Yes I have had the owners description follow a coin that did not automatically get assigned to me .. The Reg-ops just slid the whole thing over to you description and all ...

Given that I didn't write a description I wondered what was up and clicked on it. In the appropriate pop-up page under owners description it said, "ex- Jim Gray". (This provenance was not marked on the slab BTW).

This has happened to me also.....when you registry a coin and it is already owned by someone else for some reason it bring the prevois owners description also.

No I've never had that happen to me in my registries, but I did just get my type set bumped back from 24th to 25th yesterday. :pullhair:

Know anything about that Sy?? hm

Actually congrats on making the top 25 type sets Sy! :applause:

Now go pass that Victor guy, :grin: he's taken it way, way, way too far...

lol lol lol

Thanks guys for all the info!!!

Paul B., as you might imagine, I was pumped to make "The Big Time", e.g. the top 25 sets. You've got LOTS of lovely coins in your set!!! :applause: As to passing that Victor guy, ;) I find more and more of my disposable income is going towards Space memorabilia. I still Love coins, it's just I'm not buying nearly as much as I used to... still, the good Lord willing, I'll be buying the coins that float my boat.

" I still Love coins, it's just I'm not buying nearly as much as I used to... still, the good Lord willing, I'll be buying the coins that float my boat."

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u