• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New here ! PGM 1798 ( flowing hair )Bust penny ?

14 posts in this topic

Hello gentlemen . I am usually in the comic section , unless I accidentally post here . :whistle:

However , I may be spending more time here , because we own an estate sale business and come across coins from time to time , b/c I have quite a few recently acquired coins from WWII era .

I will read through the rules and etiquette shortly , however if I could bother you to give me an idea on this coin grade-wise , and I'm having a bit of trouble on E-bay determining if this is the "2nd" hair , "error" , etc.

And the prices seem to be all over the map from approx. $100 to $2000.

Thank you

B~

222AAAShieldFurysSteranko101.jpg

222AAAShieldFurysSteranko102.jpg

Hello gentlemen . I am usually in the comic section , unless I accidentally post here . :whistle:

However , I may be spending more time here , because we own an estate sale business and come across coins from time to time , b/c I have quite a few recently acquired coins from WWII era .

I will read through the rules and etiquette shortly , however if I could bother you to give me an idea on this coin grade-wise , and I'm having a bit of trouble on E-bay determining if this is the "2nd" hair , "error" , etc.

And the prices seem to be all over the map from approx. $100 to $2000.

Thank you

B~

222AAAShieldFurysSteranko101.jpg

222AAAShieldFurysSteranko102.jpg

It appears that I may need to put up close up scan ?

Be back after lunch .

(thumbs u

You also need to see if you can lighten the scan. I can't see much because the picture is too dark. I believe that the coin is the second hair style variety. Beyond that things are a bit too dark.

I'd pull it down and fix it myself, but I get paranoid about viruses now and then. :juggle:

You also need to see if you can lighten the scan. I can't see much because the picture is too dark. I believe that the coin is the second hair style variety. Beyond that things are a bit too dark.

I'd pull it down and fix it myself, but I get paranoid about viruses now and then. :juggle:

Thanks alot . I'll go work on it and get another scan up . (thumbs u

Is this better ?

Picturemore047.jpg

Picturemore046.jpg

I am in agreement with Bill Jones and it LOOKS like the 2nd hair style to me too. It is very difficult to see because of the darkness of the scan, but it seems to match what I read in Penny Whimsy, "...on style 2 there is a conspicuous extra curl superimposed on the mass of hair about 3 mm. from the edge of the lowest curl and on a direct line between the latter and the forelock". I think the extra curl is the "knobby looking thing" well above and slightly to the left of the 1 in the date. Because of wear, the second curl mentioned in the quote above is difficult to see but there does appear to be a lump in an intersecting point from the E in LIBERTY down and from the highest part of the chin to the left about 2/3 of the width of the neck. By the way, I don't think the second hair type is considered to be an "error" as you suggested.

A clearer, lightened photo might clear up the mystery for sure.

The picture is now a bit out of focus, but I can say a few things.

The basic sharpness grade is probably Fine, but the coin appears to a bit porous. It's not badly porous, but enough to keep the surfaces below anything that could be called “choice.” The coin also has a rim bump at 3 k on the obverse. I’m no good with 1798 cent die varieties because there are many of them.

Consider the net grade to be in the G-VG range. And since it’s a pre-1800 issue you should get a decent price at that level. I’d say that the coin is worth $125 or so on the retail level.

I am in agreement with Bill Jones and it LOOKS like the 2nd hair style to me too. It is very difficult to see because of the darkness of the scan, but it seems to match what I read in Penny Whimsy, "...on style 2 there is a conspicuous extra curl superimposed on the mass of hair about 3 mm. from the edge of the lowest curl and on a direct line between the latter and the forelock". I think the extra curl is the "knobby looking thing" well above and slightly to the left of the 1 in the date. Because of wear, the second curl mentioned in the quote above is difficult to see but there does appear to be a lump in an intersecting point from the E in LIBERTY down and from the highest part of the chin to the left about 2/3 of the width of the neck. By the way, I don't think the second hair type is considered to be an "error" as you suggested.

A clearer, lightened photo might clear up the mystery for sure.

Thank you ! ... :)

The picture is now a bit out of focus, but I can say a few things.

The basic sharpness grade is probably Fine, but the coin appears to a bit porous. It's not badly porous, but enough to keep the surfaces below anything that could be called “choice.” The coin also has a rim bump at 3 k on the obverse. I’m no good with 1798 cent die varieties because there are many of them.

Consider the net grade to be in the G-VG range. And since it’s a pre-1800 issue you should get a decent price at that level. I’d say that the coin is worth $125 or so on the retail level.

Thanks for your help again Bill ... ;)

Have you guys ever seen one of these "Lucky penny's" before ? It's about twice the size of a silver dollar . A novelty souvenir , I'm sure . Appears to possibly be copper .

It says "Texas Centennial 1836-1936" on one side and "Lucky Penny" on the other , along w/ "made in Japan" at the bottom , which usually is not a good sign .. meh

222AAAShieldFurysSteranko105.jpg

222AAAShieldFurysSteranko106.jpg

BTW , I have 10 - 20 more from various countries that I believe I can research for myself , but I couldn't find anything on this one .

Thank you

B~

Have you guys ever seen one of these "Lucky penny's" before ? It's about twice the size of a silver dollar . A novelty souvenir , I'm sure . Appears to possibly be copper .

It says "Texas Centennial 1836-1936" on one side and "Lucky Penny" on the other , along w/ "made in Japan" at the bottom , which usually is not a good sign .. meh

BTW , I have 10 - 20 more from various countries that I believe I can research for myself , but I couldn't find anything on this one .

Thank you

B~

Looks like I need to go get digital scans again . Unless someone lets me know that its a waste of time b/c what they can already see ?

Thank you

B~

Looks like I need to go get digital scans again . Unless someone lets me know that its a waste of time b/c what they can already see ?

222AAAShieldFurysSteranko114.jpg

222AAAShieldFurysSteranko113.jpg

Where would you guys recomend searching for approx. values of about a dozen coins from various countries from the early 1900,s ?

I'm sure you get tired of everyone coming on hear to get values .

Thanks

B~

bhhooks22

I would be happy to try to help you out. Post them, or descriptions, and I'll get to it ASAP. If you want, there is an "World and Ancient Coins" topic 3 steps down from the "Buddy, Can You Spare a Grade" topic. I'll look for your post there too.

RI Al