• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942-P Walking Liberty

7 posts in this topic

This is a recent purchase. I think it would grade out at MS64 or MS65; however, I am very new to coin grading. I would like to hear what everyone else thinks.

1942-P Walking Liberty (Sorry about the link. I couldn't figure out how embed the image.)

When the coin is held at an angle, you can notice slight wear on some of the higher points (Liberty's chest and hip). There are also some very small scratches in the right field on the obverse.

looks 65 to me also--though you may be right on it being a 64 if there are several small contact marks which don't show in a picture......

I caution you to not immediately think that flatness on the hip and breast are automatically wear..the hip area (thumb) and left breast are very high relief spots and very often ( most often actually) strike very flat....this is why a premium is paid by Walker collectors for a "Full Thumb" strike.....this flatness can even leave a "line" from face to skirt and it is simply a weak strike....beautiful coin

I sorry, but it's really almost impossible to grade a Mint State either MS-64 or MS-65 from a photo. Even experts have to see the coin in person.

This peice appears to have great luster, and it might be undipped and original.If it is original it has a shot at an MS-65. If it has been dipped MS-64 will be its upper limit.

Sorry I can't be more precise. (shrug)

I caution you to not immediately think that flatness on the hip and breast are automatically wear..the hip area (thumb) and left breast are very high relief spots and very often ( most often actually) strike very flat....this is why a premium is paid by Walker collectors for a "Full Thumb" strike.....this flatness can even leave a "line" from face to skirt and it is simply a weak strike....beautiful coin

Thanks for the info

I guess shutterfly doesn't allow you to link to their images, and I do like the coin. Looks to be very original. Although, I wouldn't hazard a guess with these pics as they are a bit small. I would definitely think they are in the range you stated though.