• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are we permitted to discuss here...

40 posts in this topic

Those look like the tabs that hold the coin.

It will be nice to see the edge of the coin on some issues, but NGC missed the mark with this design. People often complain that small coins get "lost" in the old NGC slab, now parts of the coins face are actually being covered by these new tabs. The old holders showed 100% of the coins face, conversely. The new edgeview gasket design gets a D- in my book.

That said, the new shell, hologram, and sealing pattern get an A+ for professional appearance, safety, and security.

ok i guess that isnt good either way :( i wont be sending mine in now. how can they cover parts of coins? i dont like pcgs holders for scratch reasons but will gladly pay to be able to see my coin.

Yeah, the more I'm seeing of this, the more I'm not liking it. I do hope NGC is listening. It wouldn't be the first time an unpopular slab type was quickly discontinued due to customer dissatisfaction. Give Condor something to collect.

They have this problem on the standard edge view holders as well. CGS seemed to have a decent edge view holder that may have been better to emulate.

Robert----- I have some few coins in at NGC for grading. Since I haven't seen the new holders in hand yet, I'll wait to formulate an opinion. But, from what I can tell from pictures, I think that I will like the security aspects. As to the areas that hold the coin, I'll wait to judge them in hand. Bob [supertooth]

Robert----- I have some few coins in at NGC for grading. Since I haven't seen the new holders in hand yet, I'll wait to formulate an opinion. But, from what I can tell from pictures, I think that I will like the security aspects. As to the areas that hold the coin, I'll wait to judge them in hand. Bob [supertooth]

Depending on what types of coins you submitted, you may not receive any edgeview slabs. They are not going to use them for all coin types until early 2009. Right now it is their decission as to what you will get for which coins. You will get the new holder, however.

Why can't NGC use something like this for the best of both worlds?

Because some will think it is radioactive!

Good point. I knew that looked familiar, but I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe a slight design change would be in order. lol

I am already inclined to use PCGS because I like the holder design best, but I can envision a single coin holder based on the multicoin holder, which NGC already uses for CalGold, that would have made NGC more competitive for my business. The chosen design is a failure, and if I should have the misfortune of needing a coin in one of those, it will promptly be removed. I certainly would not buy a replaceable coin in one of those.

Here's a 1835 half cent I just received from NGC with the new holder. I kinda like it. It seems like all the other NGC holders I have the coin is always tilted.

1835-0001.jpg

1835-0002.jpg

Dean

One of the main reasons that drove this move was to appease overseas collectors and dealers (i was told this personally). One of the most common laments that many of our overseas friends have against the US TPGs, is the inability to see the coin's edges. I've heard this sentiment many times, and a lot of folks are warming up to our Sheldon scale, but are unsure if the rims are damaged under the insert and thus will not buy these coins. Many see the coin's edge as a 'third side', while we in the US don't consider it anywhere near as much in the grading realm (aside from nasty rim dings, etc.).

NGC is highly courting the world coin market, and has a near monopoly on the rare world coin market; only 5 PCGS world coins in the last five years have sold for over 100k; NGC commonly has many more than that in one auction (Millennia for example). Also, the only 7 figure world coin to sell at auction, is in NGC plastic. Allowing for a holder where the edge can be seen, is nothing more than appeasing the new and relatively untapped world coin market, both common coins and more rarities alike. Slabbing in the US has reached it's zenith for US coins, and if the two tops players are to keep up their profits and submissions, they have to now go overseas to convince the rest of world that grading and slabbing has it's rightful place in coin collecting.

This new slab is a move to do so, as well as introducing the new holograms which represent anti-counterfeiting measures. PCGS should do the same soon; there is a local swap meet here in Phoenix that has a seller with tons of fake PCGS slabs,with fakes Chinese pandas (gold and silver), Morgans, Kooks, Brits, ASE/AGE, etc. The slabs are really well made, and the coins are minted quite well enough to fool many.

The writing is on the wall for coin collecting: most things in the US that "deserve" to be slabbed already are, which leaves the huge world market. I think NGC sees this as a way to stay profitable, as opposed to PCGS that has just had to have a lay-off of staff and graders due to decreased business.

I think the new holders are a good idea that needs some improvement to remove the inordinate amount of overlap along the rim. I do like the fact that you can see (at least part) of the edge, but quite frankly prefer ANACS' version as it is clear and less intrusive. Respectfully...Mike