• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever? Seen a dime encapsuled like this?

16 posts in this topic

Not exactly like that. I wonder how neutron irradiation affected the coin? A cool collector piece. Maybe someone else will have further information on this particular piece.

These and similar ones from Argonne labs (I believe) are quite common and appear with many different variations. Cliff Mishler is the most famous collectors of these but there are dozens who collect them.

Not exactly like that. I wonder how neutron irradiation affected the coin? A cool collector piece. Maybe someone else will have further information on this particular piece.

Irradiation is harmless even to foods.

It blows little holes in things and will kill bacteria while excessive amounts will even weaken the strongest steels but the affected material is harmless. This was the point of irradiating these things; to show people that they are safe. It's ironic that people are still so irrationally afraid of this process that it still isn't allowed to be used in food preservation to this day though there was a special exemption granted by the FDA only quite recently.

These were given out by the Atomic Energy Commission. I think this one came from Oak Ridge. If I remember correctly. I have had some from the 1964? New York World's Fair. Those were in a blue plastic holder!

Someone here was looking for these. Can't remember who, but they may be interested if you are looking to sell.

I remember this also but I don't remember who!!

Thanks for all the info. If anyone remembers who wanted one of these, let me know. It's not something I collect, but it sure was a surprise when I found it. I'm not sure where the Atomic Energy Museum is, but the grandparents lived in Waco, Texas.

I've toyed with the idea of putting together a "date set" from time to time and I have purchased several of them but never really worked at it.

I can't say for sure when they shut down the irradiator but I do know it was still operating in the summer of 1967 because my family stopped at the Oak Ridge Museum while on vacation that year and I irradiated several dimes myself. They were clad ones though because the silver was already pretty much gone from circulation then.

Oak Ridge is in Tennessee close to Knoxville. Oak Ridge is a small place now but during the Manhattan Project it had over 75,000 people most working on the project. That is if my memory is correct.

Someone here was looking for these. Can't remember who, but they may be interested if you are looking to sell.

I remember this also but I don't remember who!!

:grin: