• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof coin stored in PVC Flip.....Help

11 posts in this topic

I bought a nice toned proof Ike dollar and they sent the coin in a flip. I looked at the coin and put it away.....well about a month later I was looking at the coins and noticed the Ike didn't look like it was a proof anymore.....I then realized that the seller had shipped the coin in a PVC flip.....Now all of the fields have turned milky white....I just wrote the seller, to tell him that he shouldn't be putting coins in these type of flips.

I read the WYNTK on PVC but how can I fix the problem!!

I read about dipping in acetone but will that remove the toning?

I bought a nice toned proof Ike dollar and they sent the coin in a flip. I looked at the coin and put it away.....well about a month later I was looking at the coins and noticed the Ike didn't look like it was a proof anymore.....I then realized that the seller had shipped the coin in a PVC flip.....Now all of the fields have turned milky white....I just wrote the seller, to tell him that he shouldn't be putting coins in these type of flips.

I read the WYNTK on PVC but how can I fix the problem!!

I read about dipping in acetone but will that remove the toning?

Toning if REAL is the metal itself turning color not something ON the coin. If the toning washes away you will then know it was NOT real :)

I have seen this on modern proofs. Acetone might not do anything although it couldn't hurt. Also it would remove any PVC that was still hanging around. You might have to send the coin to NCS.

I recommend the acetone idea. If you are lucky and it is done properly, you can save the coin and the toning. If acetone reveals deep-seated problems, then my next suggestion would be Blue Ribbon, followed by acetone. This might very well affect or remove toning, however. Finally, if all else fails, you may be stuck with having to dip the coin. I have never owned or bought even a drop of coin dip, but the reputation is that it will do the trick.

Just an afterthought...the guys here helped me with some PVC-ized silver world crowns that had the nasty green slimy PVC gunk. They suggested Acetone to me as well and it worked like a charm. Remember to thoroughly rinse the coins

thoroughly after their bath.

I was also warned to use the Acetone in an open, airy space and away from any flammable sources. I was a bit hesitant at first...thinking I would probably blow a good sized hole in my face with the stuff....but I'm still here...face and all (such as it is) :roflmao: with some nicely improved coins and with further potential coin damage stopped in its tracks. The stuff works and I got mine from Home Depot in the paint department.

Good luck!!

RI Al Alan