• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1866 3 Cent Nickel.....cleaned

8 posts in this topic

Can someone explain how you know this is cleaned.

I'm still not seeing it and trying to see what to look for.

I know what cleaned or whizzed Morgans and other silver coins look like.

I guess I can't see it on nickel/coppers :(

It has a golden tone on both sides and has some light pitting on the reverse.

Stefanie

57e03ece.jpg

e8a4424f.jpg

e02e4171.jpg

d0699c25.jpg

I noticed 3 things immediately, and they may or may not be cleaning on your coin.

1. There appear to be hairlines in front of her face. I don't know if these are scuffs, or evidence of harsh cleaning.

2. The long streak on the reverse could be a planchet defect, ugly retoning, or where a spot was removed.

3. The biggest thing that is screaming unnatural to me is the overall shininess. It looks like someone used baking soda or toothpaste on this one, which might also explain the pitting. This unnatural shininess is evident on both sides, and primarily in the centers. Anytime you see something like this on coins, your first thought should be cleaning.

Upon thinking about it some more, the pitting could also be some sort of environmental damage. If ugly toning or corrosion was cleaned off, quite possibly through a harsh method such as mentioned in point 3, that could leave pits behind.

All sorts of possible problems, but a good learning tool.

I noticed 3 things immediately, and they may or may not be cleaning on your coin.

1. There appear to be hairlines in front of her face. I don't know if these are scuffs, or evidence of harsh cleaning.

2. The long streak on the reverse could be a planchet defect, ugly retoning, or where a spot was removed.

3. The biggest thing that is screaming unnatural to me is the overall shininess. It looks like someone used baking soda or toothpaste on this one, which might also explain the pitting. This unnatural shininess is evident on both sides, and primarily in the centers. Anytime you see something like this on coins, your first thought should be cleaning.

Upon thinking about it some more, the pitting could also be some sort of environmental damage. If ugly toning or corrosion was cleaned off, quite possibly through a harsh method such as mentioned in point 3, that could leave pits behind.

All sorts of possible problems, but a good learning tool.

Thank you so much for taking your time to explain it to me.

I don't collect this series but know a heck of a lot more now!

Stefanie

that die crack is awesome...in fact it looks to be that it may have originally run the entire reverse length from toip to bottom !!...too cool, it looks like someone confused the die break for a scratch and tried buffing it out--hence the vertically diagonal slash and the missing column lines on the center of the III....just my guess..